Q. Various parts of my body trembles occasionally, and I have other symptoms. What is the cause?

Dr. Penchilaprasad Kandikattu
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 31, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 27, 2021

I have hand trembling intermittently. I have trembling occasionally in my lips, shoulder, leg, and thigh. It takes a few seconds to feel heat or cold especially at the bottom of the feet. When I stand up from an inclined sitting position, I have mini-episodes of blackouts. My lower back of the head hurts a lot. I have painful sharp pain at the tip of my fingers. I have disturbed sleep. I have sharp pain in my chest and sternum. I have dizziness while climbing a spiral staircase. I have these issues for a few months. I feel disconnected from the body. While holding a pen, my hand seems to be weak. I have sudden jerks in my body parts. My spine hurts at times. I hear click like cracks on the hand. I consulted a doctor. I have done a chest X-ray, blood test, ECG, and blood pressure. All the results came back normal. My symptoms came on and off while doing these tests.

#

Please mention whether you take caffeinated drinks or alcohol. Please mention whether you experience sleepless nights. Please mention whether you have diarrhea or malabsorption syndrome. Your condition needs a thorough physical examination. It can occur due to panic attacks or functional tremors or anemia or BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo) or postural hypotension or hyperthyroidism. Do ECG (electrocardiogram), blood pressure examination while sitting and standing position, serum electrolytes, and complete hemoglobin. You can take tablet Inderal 10 mg (Propranolol) daily once at night for a week. If there is no improvement in your symptoms, you need to consult a physician for having an examination and treat your condition accordingly. Have a review with your reports.

|