Q. How to get someone out of manic state?

Dr. Sathya Prakash
Published on Nov 29, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

How would you calm someone out of a manic state?

#

• Mania is a psychiatric condition that is ultimately treatable with medicines. It can be treated by counseling or therapy.
  • In the initial stages certain non-medication first aid measures can be useful. Asking the patient to go to bed and take rest as if he has flu. Also, by limiting physical activity as well as interaction with others.
  • The patient may wish that he go out, meet people and not sleep. The attempt must be made to convince him against this.
  • If you were intending to ask how to calm down an outburst during the course of a manic episode, the technique to be used is talking down.
  • You do not confront or contradict what he or she says. Do not accuse or offend him or her in any manner, even if he or she has been wrong.
  • Just agree and say fine to him in a calm voice. But make sure not to give him or her credit cards and do not allow him or her to make any major life decision.
  • One of the master tricks is to say something funny. Patients with mania are susceptible to shifting from irritability to a very euphoric mood provided the appropriate groundwork is laid. This is something we use commonly and is effective for the short term.

For further information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

Lately, I am unable to think and talk clearly. What could be the reason?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 20 year old male. I have had speech difficulties since I was a kid. Now, it has progressed, and it is hard to say what I am thinking. I tend to have slow speech and thinking. Of late, it has been getting worse. I have to carefully think of what to say when I talk. I feel like ...  Read Full »

How can anxiety causing breathlessness be controlled?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a best friend who suffers from anxiety and I saw her almost dying today because of a panic attack she had. All her life she thought she had a problem with her heart but she went to see a doctor and he said she is in perfect health. She starts shaking and cannot breathe and I am...  Read Full »