Q. I masturbate by seeing sexy pictures. Is it harmful?

Published on Dec 13, 2019 and last reviewed on: Dec 14, 2019

I am a 23-year-old male. I am having a problem with masturbation, which is done mainly by seeing sexy pictures and imagining. Two years before, I had a very accident and saved by a neurosurgeon. Please advise.

Andrology Geriatrics Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology
#

In many parts of the world, sexuality is surrounded by a lot of myths and abnormal beliefs. Masturbation is one of them and it is considered a problem or disease by a large segment of society. In fact, it has no harmful effect if done for a reasonable time. For a 23-year-old male, a frequency of six to eight per week is absolutely normal. If it is beyond this and causes you pain than it needs some intervention. You need to take care of the force that you apply while masturbating. Do not use the rough surfaces to masturbate. If you are already taking care of a few things then you can enjoy yourself to the maximum extent.

Regarding your statement about the source of excitement (sexy pictures) that is absolutely fine. Most of us behave in this way only. There is nothing abnormal in masturbating once you get an erection after seeing sexy pictures. By the way, masturbation is natural sex which is practiced mainly because the other partner is not available. This is the way of releasing sexual tension by self.

Regarding your neurosurgery incident, I like to assure you that there is no relation in the majority. If you had a gross change in your personality and sexuality following surgery then also you need to be assessed for further management. If you had any change after surgery or your frequency is too high than desirable then book an appointment with me. I will help you with every possible means.

Watching porn has become a part of my life. How to get rid of that?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a habit of watching porn. I want to get rid of this, but I could not. Watching porn has become a part of my life. How to get rid of this?  Read Full »

Will Masturbation cause Premature Ejaculation

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 32 year old unmarried male. I am suffering from premature ejaculation. I am masturbation from 13 years od age using sex toys. I am not lasting more than two minutes. I am taking antidepressants and doing squeeze technique. But, it does not help me. Kindly suggest medicine for prema...  Read Full »

Why there is a feeling of irritation when there is no abnormal penile discharge? Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have a feeling of discharge from my penis from last week, but I do not see any discharge occurring. I have done a urine test and microscopic examination also, but they were normal. I do not know why I have this feeling. It is irritating me. Please help.  Read Full »