Q. What could be the reason for the sudden loss of sexual desire and pain while masturbating?

Dr. Asma Sajid Shaikh

I am a 42-year-old female. I had been masturbating for the past 20 years, but now it hurts while masturbating, and I seem to have lost my sexual desires. In addition, I do not feel sleepy afterward and wake up with numb fingers the following day. Also, I do not enjoy or feel sexually aroused watching porn videos or pictures. What could be the reason? Kindly help.

#

I understand your concern.

There could be two possibilities.

First, everyone has a different sex drive and sexual experience. Many people, especially women, experience changes in sex drive after 40 years, depending on their periods or how near to menopause they are.

Second, this could be due to hormones being released from other organs.

In the first scenario, you can try to vary your practices (change porn, use toys, etc.). Also, change the time of masturbation. Make sure your sleep is between seven to eight hours to be well rested and stress-free when trying things. Finally, increase fluid intake and ensure you are getting a balanced diet.

Also, to rule out other causes, I would suggest the following tests:

1. Complete blood count.
  2. Estradiol and progesterone levels.
  3. Luteinizing hormone and follicle-stimulating hormone levels.
  4. Thyroid profile.
  5. Cortisol levels at 8 AM and 8 PM.
  6. Prolactin levels.

|