Q. I am feeling shaky, clammy and flushing often. How to know the reason for these symptoms?

Dr. Shinas Hussain A P
Published on Mar 06, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am 46 years old. My weight is 147 lbs and height is 5'3". I am currently taking Tizanidine, Nabumetone, and Hydrocodone as prescribed for a back injury sustained over three years ago. My symptoms are extreme shaking, severe weakness sometimes to the point of feeling like I am about to pass out, nausea, vomiting, clammy, incredibly sweating and flushing. It happens about two to six times a day for a week and then goes away for roughly one to three weeks. I would like to know the reason for those symptoms. Should I visit my doctor immediately?

Dr. Shinas Hussain A P

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

I have gone through your query, and I can understand your concerns.

• I think you had a back injury, pain, and spasticity (stiffness) for which you are taking the above mentioned drugs for last three years. Let me explain briefly about the drugs you are taking.
  • Nabumetone is a relatively safe drug and side effects are very minimal apart from mild gastritis and nausea.
  • Tizanidine is a muscle relaxant, and it is used for stiffness. Long-term use of Tizanidine for years can cause some adverse effects like dizziness, vomiting, extreme fatigue, confusion, etc. So, your symptoms can be due to adverse effects of Tizanidine.
  • Hydrocodone is an analgesic and is used for pain conditions. The side effects are similar to Tizanidine.
  • Your problems could be due to the side effects of your pain medicines. But before making a definite diagnosis, we have to rule out some other condition.
  • I suggest you consult a general practitioner and do the following to rule out some other condition which can have symptoms similar as in your history.
  1. ECG to rule out coronary artery disease.
  2. Serum electrolyte assay to rule out hypokalemia and hyponatremia.
  3. Check your blood pressure level to rule out hypotension and hypertension.
  4. Check your blood sugar level.
  5. All other investigations as prescribed by your treating physician which might include a CT head and upper GI endoscopy.
  • As of now, you can do the following the following: Drink plenty of water, avoid unwanted stresses be calm and relaxed, get adequate sleep and healthy diet and consult your doctor for nausea and vomiting.

Adverse drug reactions.

ECG, serum electrolytes, RBS (random blood sugar) and CT head.

1. Coronary artery disease.
2. Electrolyte imbalance.

Conservative.

Revert with the reports to a family physician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

Atherosclerosis: The Silent Killer

Article Overview: Atherosclerosis is a coronary artery disease which is statistically the No. 1 killer. It is a silent disease, causing us no symptoms, and when it does, it can be life-threatening. Read this article to know how you can prevent this deadly disease. Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S

The word '-athero' means paste and '-stenosis' means harden. So, atherosclerosis is the hardening of deposits formed inside the blood vessels, gradually building up to obstruct the blood flow in the vessel, and eventually, restricting the blood flow completely. Causes In a healthy person, the innerm...  Read Article

Please help me lower my blood sugar levels.

Query: Hello doctor, I have diabetes since the last 11 to 12 years, and I started taking medicines given by my family doctor. Presently, I am taking Glimisave M2 (one tablet in the morning and evening), Dynaglipt 20 (one tablet in the morning), and Absolut 3G (one in the evening). My health is fine, and I...  Read Full »

I have been having chest pain and palpitations. Can it be coronary artery disease?

Query: Hello doctor,I weigh 197 but was 224 three months ago. I am 5'8" and have no history of heart disease in my family. My blood pressure is a little high and my cholesterol is normal. My LDL was 120 three months ago before I started losing weight. I have been having chest pain for three months now alon...  Read Full »

Ask a Family Physician Now