Q. I am worried about meibomian gland dropout. Kindly explain my report.

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 07, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 15, 2020

I am writing this as I am worried about meibomian gland dropout. I took a test before five months and I had a few glands dropped out. I had a flow procedure as I understand this is similar to PRK to correct my vision and after that I got dry eyes and MGD. However, I took a test today as well, but the doctor did not say much about it. When I got home, I checked it online by myself and compared this with the last time test. It seems to me that the situation is much worse now and more glands have dropped out. However, as I am not a doctor I may be wrong. Therefore, a second opinion would be very much appreciated. I use Acular and Oftan Dexa-Chlora in case of inflammation.

#

• Please do not worry. It is not the number, but also the working condition of meibomian glands that really matters.
  • Meibomian glands secrete oils, which prevents tear film from evaporation. Tear film break-up time (TFBUT) and Schirmer's test values are normal in both eyes (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • I suggest you the following. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and follow the suggestion with consent.
  1. Warm compresses and lid massage.
  2. Keep using Osmega tablets (omega 3 fatty acids).
  3. Use lubricating eye drops frequently like Systane Ultra (Propylene glycol).

For further information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

| 

I have dry eyes after a LASIK surgery. Is there some medication I can try?

Query: Hi doctor,About two years ago, I did LASIK surgery to correct short-sightedness. I recovered from it and have a normal vision now. The trouble note is my eyes gets dry soon. And sometimes when I wake up I cannot even open my eyes as it is too dry and I need to keep it closed until it waters which ...  Read Full »

I accidentally got eucalyptus oil in my eye. Is there anything I should do?

Query: Hi doctor, I got eucalyptus oil in my eye by accident while trying to open a bottle of the same. I tried flushing my eye with water which then I read on the internet not to use water. I then tapped olive oil around my eye as suggested on the Internet. My eye stung so much with the water but then it...  Read Full »

What should I do to concentrate in my studies?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a student. When I sit for study, I just start feeling distractions from small noises and things. Most of the time, I go to imaginations of things I want to create and sometimes, I suddenly start daydreaming about different kinds of thoughts. Sometimes, I start to remember about pa...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»