Q. New moles are appearing in my palms. Is it melanoma?

Dr. Kakkar

I am a 24-year-old male. For the last six years, new black moles have been appearing in my palms. It is not creating issues like itching, pain, etc. I just want to know whether it a symptom of melanoma.

Dr. Kakkar

Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

I have noted your concern and I have viewed the images (attachment removed to prevent patient identity).

These are benign nevi - acquired melanocytic nevi (AMNs). They are not a sign of melanoma. AMNs may increase in number during the first three decades and it is a normal phenomenon.

Generally, people who have a higher sun exposure over the years have higher numbers of AMNs.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

My son has a small epidermal nevus. Should I worry about potential gene mutation?

Query: Hello doctor, You were wonderful in allaying some health anxiety over some skin issues several months ago. So, I thought I would consult with you on another question pertaining to my son. Unfortunately, a combination of my health anxiety and the big mistake of searching online has my mind imagining ...  Read Full »

Usage of LASER in Dermatology and Skin Care

Article Overview: In this article, I have discussed about the commonly used lasers in dermatology and also their advantages and disadvantages. Read Article

The word LASER is an acronym for light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation. Lasers have been widely used in dermatology and general medicine for the last 30 years. No single laser system is capable of treating all cutaneous lesions and search for the perfect system still persists. The...  Read Article

How does a melanoma mole look like?

Query: Hello doctor, I have this mole on my back. I think it has been there for a while. My GP took one look at it and declared completely benign. I was wondering what sort of mole it is? Is it worrying? I used sunbeds frequently for about a year when I was younger. Never since.  Read Full »