Q. Is the mole on my back normal or related to melanoma?

Dr. Yeshwanth Kumar

I have this mole on my back. I think it has been there for a while. My GP took one look at it and declared completely benign. I was wondering what sort of mole it is? Is it worrying? I used sunbeds frequently for about a year when I was younger. Never since.

Dr. Yeshwanth Kumar

Dermatology Venereology
#

Most likely it is a benign melanocytic nevus (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The worrying signs are a sudden change in colour, a sudden increase in size and shape. If you want to confirm whether it is benign or not, you can go for dermoscopy (noninvasive technique), skin biopsy.

| 

Thank you so much for your reply. Is that basically just a common mole? Or does that one look atypical? I found old photos I had taken of moles nearly two years ago. Think I found one of the moles in question. It has not changed. I think it was just the dark center that panicked me.

Dr. Yeshwanth Kumar

Dermatology Venereology
#

I feel it looks like normal melanocytic nevus which is benign at present but you are the one who can judge this as you have been seeing from a long time. If still, you are in doubt, you can go for dermoscopy which is a non-invasive technique which helps in differentiation.

| 

The mole on my arm has two different brown shades. Give me your opinion please.

Query: Hi doctor,I have got a mole on my arm that measures 5 mm and is flat. I have always had this mole. I have not noticed it changing and it has not bled or itched. I am a bit concerned though that it has two different brown shades in it and would like your opinion on it, please.  Read Full »

I got a new birthmark like thing. Is it melanoma?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a birthmark like thing on one of my toes. I am 90 percent sure that I have not had it since birth. My father passed away due to melanoma. I am much worried about this. Please help me.  Read Full »