Nevus

Is it possible for a pimple on a nose to be skin cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a zit or pimple on my nose. I had it for a few years. I was never worried about it. It does not look too extreme or anything. But someone mentioned about skin cancer sometimes starting as small red bumps that do not go away. I am not sure if it is possible to have a pimple for ...  Read Full »

Dr. Saira Mohsin

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please upload the pictures of affected areas for an exact diagnosis.  Read Full »

I want to know about the gray patches on the white of my eye. Please explain.

Query: Hello doctor, I am 19 years old male, and I want to know why there are gray patches on white of my eye though it does not irritate so far. I am curious to read a lot of stuff some article goes as far as cancer-related to this, need professional guidance as I am getting anxious.  Read Full »

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Gray patch on the sclera might be due to some congenital pigmentation, freckles, or nevus. Mostly they are harmless and nothing to worry about. Rarely they are related to cancer, but at your age, cancer is not common. You need to observe these patches if you feel any...  Read Full »

I have a nevus on my lacrimal caruncle for almost 10 years. Could it be melanoma?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a nevus on my lacrimal caruncle which has been there for almost 10 years. Recently I have noticed a slight change in it. Could it be melanoma?  Read Full »

Dr. Souhad

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern, but I would not advise you to jump into any hasty conclusions. First of all, birthmarks, moles are very common even with the localization that you mentioned. However, to advise you better, it is preferable to compare this lesion on photos t...  Read Full »

Is my nevus a melanoma?

Query: Hi doctor, I have some questions regarding what the dermatologist told me yesterday, when I was visited with dermoscopy to check my nevi. I asked the dermatologist to focus on an atypical blue nevus (on my right arm) which has increased in size during the last nine years. He told me that the nevus ...  Read Full »

Dr. Rabia

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Dermoscope is of different types. Some are more good than others. Using this instrument requires a lot of practice and experience. Sometimes the person performing it cannot appreciate all the features of a particular disease. In your case, the conversion of blue nevus ...  Read Full »

Can an unchanged mole actually be an early melanoma?

Query: Hello doctor, Is this melanoma? Does it look bad?  Read Full »

Dr. Kakkar

Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have noted your concern and have viewed the image (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This could be an atypical/ dysplastic nevus - has irregular borders, looks asymmetric in shape and is perhaps bigger than 5 mm. It certainly requires a dermoscopic...  Read Full »

My son has a small epidermal nevus. Should I worry about potential gene mutation?

Query: Hello doctor, You were wonderful in allaying some health anxiety over some skin issues several months ago. So, I thought I would consult with you on another question pertaining to my son. Unfortunately, a combination of my health anxiety and the big mistake of searching online has my mind imagining ...  Read Full »

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

Dermatologist, Venereologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Cosmetologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A solitary epidermal nevus is very common and does not pose any kind of serious health concern. Neither is a biopsy required. You are right. Any associated symptom should have been present since birth or early childhood in this case. Even if it is passed on to the ...  Read Full »

Should I worry about my nevus spilus turning cancerous?

Query: Hello doctor, I have speckled lentiginous nevi, also known as nevus spilus. I have had it since I was a baby. I do not know if it is congenital. Ever since I read online that they can transform dangerous, I do not feel comfortable in my own skin. I know the nevus spilus is alright right now. Its ...  Read Full »

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your query and examined your picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). From your descriptions and given image, it does seem you have nevus spilus. There is nothing to worry about. The nevus spilus is present in 3 % of fair-skinned people. ...  Read Full »

Will scratching a mole affect the biopsy report?

Query: Hi doctor, Six weeks ago, I noticed a mole on my back. There was no itching or redness. But, I scratched it and went to the Urgent Care Clinic. The doctor said it looked like an irritated nevus. Then, during a shower it came off completely and left a flat area. Within a few weeks, it reappeared. Now...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your query and concern. With your descriptions it seems that you have melanocytic nevus. Scratching or healing would not affect the outcome of the biopsy. In a biopsy for making a diagnosis of BCC (basal cell carcinoma) we need to see basaloid cells with a pe...  Read Full »

I notice a bump on the mole on my chin. Is this melanoma?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 28-year-old female. I have always had a small, raised, symmetrical mole on the right side of my chin. It has always been very benign and had a hair growing out of it that I consistently plucked. About two weeks ago, I noticed a small, shiny whiteish bump on the mole and called my d...  Read Full »

Dr. Kakkar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have noted your concern and I have viewed the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It looks to be a pretty benign nevus to me. Well defined, uniform colored, small, rough to oval, and symmetrical. I think the nevus perhaps has an ingrown hair ...  Read Full »

I have a mark on my toe. Can this be melanoma?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a mark on my toe that has been there a few years and although my GP was not concerned, I am very scared it could be melanoma. It has not changed dramatically but it could have changed subtly as in some photos it looks a little darker and others a little bigger, although it is h...  Read Full »

Dr. Kakkar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have viewed the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It seems a benign nevus, well-defined, regular, and uniformly colored. Moreover, it has not changed over the years. However, dermoscopy is the best way to be sure about that, as benign nevi ha...  Read Full »