Q. Please tell how Melatonin supplements work.

Dr. Albana Greca
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 11, 2019 and last reviewed on: Aug 14, 2019

How do Melatonin supplements work? Does taking Melatonin actually help you fall asleep and stay asleep? Are there any potential side effects or drawbacks to using Melatonin to fall asleep? Are there any health benefits of taking a Melatonin supplement? Is it safe to take Melatonin on a nightly basis? If so, does your body get used to it?

#

Melatonin is a natural hormone found in our body. The Melatonin pill works the same as this natural hormone as per studies. It helps regulate sleep-wake cycles. It also helps fall asleep and stay asleep. It worked for my patients. It is usually safe. I have prescribed for short term only. No side effects so far. If the sleep is improved, patients overall status improved too. Do not recommend to take regular use. Advise frequent consultation and short term use only.

|