Q. Please tell how Melatonin supplements work.

Dr. Albana Greca
Published on Aug 11, 2019 and last reviewed on: Aug 14, 2019

How do Melatonin supplements work? Does taking Melatonin actually help you fall asleep and stay asleep? Are there any potential side effects or drawbacks to using Melatonin to fall asleep? Are there any health benefits of taking a Melatonin supplement? Is it safe to take Melatonin on a nightly basis? If so, does your body get used to it?

Dr. Albana Greca

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

Melatonin is a natural hormone found in our body. The Melatonin pill works the same as this natural hormone as per studies. It helps regulate sleep-wake cycles. It also helps fall asleep and stay asleep. It worked for my patients. It is usually safe. I have prescribed for short term only. No side effects so far. If the sleep is improved, patients overall status improved too. Do not recommend to take regular use. Advise frequent consultation and short term use only.

I wake up coughing at night and swallow water to relieve this. Please advise.

Query: Hi doctor, I always wake up coughing during the night. And when I eat, I get discomfort like trapped wind in my esophagus and have to swallow water hard to relieve this. I tested negative for H. pylori and currently on Lansoprazole which is not improving my symptoms much.  Read Full »

Why have I been prescribed Ovares plus, Letrozole and Duphaston?

Query: Hello doctor,I have had three miscarriages. The doctor prescribed me to take Ovares plus before going to bed at night. Also, prescribed Letrozole 2.5 mg to take from the third day of period and Duphaston to take from the sixteenth day of the period. Why did the doctor prescribe me all these medicine...  Read Full »

I am developing withdrawal symptoms of Paroxetine. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 26 year old male, and I am a doctor. From the past year, I have been suffering from delayed onset sleep disorder, I sleep at 4 AM and wake up after noon. I saw a psychiatrist, and he put me on Melatonin, Modafinil, and Zolfresh. But I am still unable to sleep at the desired time, a...  Read Full »

Ask a Nutritionist Now