Please suggest a cure for problems related to GERD and gastritis with sleep disturbances.

Q. Persistent problems related to GERD and gastritis with sleep disturbances. Please help.

Answered by
Dr. Anshul Varshney
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sneha Kannan
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 02, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 21, 2023

Hi doctor,

I am 54 years with a weight of 136lbs and a height of five feet. I have these symptoms for the past five months. I have anorexia with loss of appetite. I have dyspepsia with difficulty in swallowing food and water. I have an acidic burn with an outcome of mucin. I have GERD. I have sleep disturbance within an interval of two to three hours of sleep. I have weight loss from 158 to 136 lbs within three months. I have a positive result for helicobacter pylori infection. My upper GI endoscopy showed pan gastritis. I have a past history of piles, feeling of a lump in the throat after taking food. I suffered from a head injury in the last month. I have weakness and dizziness now. Currently, I am taking Aristozyme for 60 days three times a day with Wel liv syrup for 30 days two times a day. I am taking all these tablets for 15 days. Again, I was advised to take Vegazold for 60 days once daily, and Happi for 60 days once daily. I am taking it for 30 days.



Welcome to

I have gone through the attached report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The important things are pangastritis, solitary rectal ulcer, and anemia. As you have persistent problems related to GERD and gastritis, then this can be resolved by taking drugs. I suggest you take a combination of Domperidone and Pantoprazole. This helps for GERD. At this age, you seem to have significant weight loss and it cannot be neglected. I want to know whether you have anorexia or fear of eating due to gastritis. You have not mentioned your condition regarding blood pressure, ECG (electrocardiogram), and chest X-ray. I am concerned about your weight loss. At this age, it can be due to malignancy. Please mention in detail about your menstrual history. I advise you do a breast examination by yourself or by consulting a surgeon to see for any lump. I also advise you to discuss with your doctor to add a drug called Escitalopram (SSRI). Please review with the above. Thanks.

Thank you, doctor,

I took a combination of anti-gastric (Omido) and antiemetic drugs for a month but no significant relief was observed. I have 130/83 mmHg of blood pressure and a pulse rate of 74 beats per minute. I have anorexia without any fear of eating. I have not done ECG. I have attached my chest X-ray. I do not have any breast lumps. Kindly advise necessary tests to be done for weight loss. I have attached my biopsy report. My menopause was started ten years back. Please tell me the necessity to take SSRI. I have mucin coming out from my nose especially while taking food. My eruption is getting increased day by day after taking food and it comes at any time. Sometimes, I have mucin coming out through my mouth. After taking medication, it decreases and GERD also gets decreased. I have continuous sleep disturbance. Kindly suggests another requisite department for a consult if required.



Welcome back to

Everything seems to remain related to the acid peptic disease. The solitary rectal ulcer has to be kept into consideration at present. Your report does not suggest any sign of a malignant ulcer. But we should mark it and have a follow-up after six months. I do not find any reason to do more investigations and to consult another specialist for this problem as you were already been evaluated by many specialists. You should know that sleep disturbances and stress increase acid peptic disease and GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease). So I want to make you sleep peacefully. I do not mind adding a drug to your sleep problems. If you have a good sleep, you will notice a lot of improvement in the symptoms. SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) is used to treat depression and they have other roles to play in other diseases also. Taking Amitriptyline is effective against acid peptic disease. Some people get good sleep by taking SSRI. If it does not help, you can take Etizolam. I hope I am able to solve your query. If you have any other queries, please ask me. Wish you a healthy life.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
My GERD symptoms come back after a few hours of taking medicines. Please help.

Hi doctor, I have GERD ... The diagnosis of GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) can be established by two things ... You can take Pantoprazole 40 mg half an hour before meals and it takes aro   Read full

Can GERD cause rumbling stomach and feeling of something stuck in throat?

.. sure whether the diagnosis of GERD (gastric esophageal reflux disease) is made by you or your physician. By looking at the symptoms it looks like there is increased gastric acid secretion which is giving you the sensation of bloating.   Read full

I have difficulty in digestion and feeling full with little food. Please help.

It may be due to acid peptic disease, gastritis, irritable bowel syndrome, fatty liver disease, or infections ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Medical Gastroenterologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.