Q. I take Diltiazem for tachycardia. Can I also take Melatonin for sleep problems?

Dr. Artur Holubka
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 03, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 18, 2021

I am 67 years old. I am taking Diltiazem 120 mg twice daily. It was given to me when I had borderline hypertrophy of the heart due to undiagnosed sleep apnea. I also take it when I have tachycardia once or twice a year. It was not given to me for high blood pressure. When my doctor examines my blood pressure, it seems to be normal and sometimes, it shows 140/90 mmHg. Very rarely, it shows high values. I was a light sleeper for a long time. I have heard that older people produce less melatonin. I read online that there is a drug interaction between Diltiazem and Melatonin. But I do not know whether it is serious or not. Is it good to take Melatonin 5 mg at bedtime? Currently, I am taking Clonapin, Prilosec, Testosterone, and Simvastatin.

#

Diltiazem is not given in a high dose to cause serious disturbance in you. Melatonin interferes with testosterone production. Melatonin deficiency initiates or aggravates the clinical course of all somatic pathologies. It also leads to testosterone deficiency at any age. It completes the vicious circle of pathogenesis of most somatic and age-associated diseases in men. It is very important to diagnose sleep disorders in men with any pathology including andrological diseases. Your blood pressure and weight are not bad for your age group. You can lose weight up to six kilograms.

A new technique is emerged to diagnose melatonin deficiency. It is calculated by examining the free fraction in the saliva. It allows examining other steroid hormones also. It has high accuracy. Melatonin is usually diagnosed at night to have better results. You need to do a conduct study of the brain, pituitary glands, and pineal gland. For a detailed understanding, you can do complete blood count and biochemistry.

|