Q. Other than BCP, what can I opt to control menstrual bleeding?

Published on Apr 03, 2019

I am a 53-year-old female who has been on a low dosage of BCP continuously for past 17 years due to periods that never stopped and was bedridden for six months due to having no more blood left to pump my heart. Secondly, I was hospitalized and had three blood transfusions.

Medically I was unable to have a period due to the issues. Now I have a new doctor and wants me to go off the BCP. I want an opinion on what to do as I cannot have a period. I have had other options done as well and none worked. Can I stay on them?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

As you are 53 years now and your primary concern was menorrhagia (heavy menstrual bleeding) which causes anemia and other issues. If it has been controlled with birth control since the last six months, then this indicates hormonal imbalances.

Now at 53, you should be expecting your menopause soon, which cannot be found out if you remain on birth control, hence you can opt to stop them for two cycles and watch for bleeding. If any, then either you can restart or simply opt for hysterectomy (surgery to remove a part of the uterus) for failed medical management for menorrhagia, as fertility is not a concern in your case.

Accidentally, had birth control pill during pregnancy. What shall I do?

Query: Hi doctor, I got my last period on the 1st of last month. Two days back, I used birth control pills. But, I am 2 weeks pregnant now. Will it cause any side effect?  Read Full »

I have spotting while on Tri-Sprintec. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I have been taking the birth control pill, Tri-Sprintec for almost five years now. I started my new pack of pills on 19 of last month. I had intercourse twice on 20th and once on the 21st of last month. I used to take my pill between 7 and 8 AM. One day I had pill at 6:30 AM as I woke up ...  Read Full »

Heavy Unscheduled Bleeding - Causes and Treatment

Article Overview: In this article, I am explaining the causes, types, and investigations to diagnose menorrhagia, dysmenorrhea, irregular, unscheduled bleeding and its treatment. Read Article

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Menstrual bleeding affects the quality of a woman’s life and has an impact on her physically, emotionally, and socially, with or without mild to severe signs and symptoms and it needs attention. Mostly longer, anovulatory cycles have been observed at and after puberty, whereas frequent and sho...  Read Article