Q. What is the dosage of Pentasa for bowel problem?

Dr. Klerida Shehu
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 26, 2017 and last reviewed on: Feb 10, 2021

I have a problem in my bowel since more than one month, so I had a colonoscopy with biopsy. The doctor informed me that I have mild inflammation and colitis. The doctor gave me two medications, Pentasa 500 and Tarivid 200. I used Pentasa 500 for three weeks, and I become recovered almost 70 %. I am hesitated to take the antibiotic. Two days ago, I had some diarrhea and pain in the lower left side of my stomach. I also had nausea after one hour of having meal. Should I take the antibiotic? What is the dosage of Pentasa? Do I have to reduce it to 2 g a day? Any other recommendation? I am attaching my reports. Thank you.

#

I have seen the attached report (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• You have diverticulitis and mild colitis. That is why you should use antibiotics like Tarivid (Ofloxacin) 200 mg. Diverticulitis explains your symptoms like diarrhea and stomach pain.
  • With regards to Pentasa (Mesalazine) dosage, you can lower the dosage after your symptoms are improved. In my opinion, you should start using Pentasa 2 g per day for a month, and Ciprinol (Ciprofloxacin) 200 mg per day for seven days.
  • After this course of treatment, if your symptoms get better, then you can start lower dosage of Pentasa, that is, 1.5 g per day.

Hope it was helpful to you.

For more information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

|