Q. What is the dosage of Pentasa for bowel problem?

Dr. Klerida Shehu
Published on Jun 26, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have a problem in my bowel since more than one month, so I had a colonoscopy with biopsy. The doctor informed me that I have mild inflammation and colitis. The doctor gave me two medications, Pentasa 500 and Tarivid 200. I used Pentasa 500 for three weeks, and I become recovered almost 70 %. I am hesitated to take the antibiotic. Two days ago, I had some diarrhea and pain in the lower left side of my stomach. I also had nausea after one hour of having meal. Should I take the antibiotic? What is the dosage of Pentasa? Do I have to reduce it to 2 g a day? Any other recommendation? I am attaching my reports. Thank you.

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Medical Gastroenterology
#

I have seen the attached report (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• You have diverticulitis and mild colitis. That is why you should use antibiotics like Tarivid (Ofloxacin) 200 mg. Diverticulitis explains your symptoms like diarrhea and stomach pain.
  • With regards to Pentasa (Mesalazine) dosage, you can lower the dosage after your symptoms are improved. In my opinion, you should start using Pentasa 2 g per day for a month, and Ciprinol (Ciprofloxacin) 200 mg per day for seven days.
  • After this course of treatment, if your symptoms get better, then you can start lower dosage of Pentasa, that is, 1.5 g per day.

Hope it was helpful to you.

For more information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

| 

I experience very severe pain. Is it due to diverticulitis?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been prescribed Mirtazapine 15 mg for reducing my depression associated with my condition. In most of my adult life, I suffered from IBS symptoms. I rarely drink alcohol. I eat fish and seafood. But no other meat is taken in my diet now. In the past five years, my problems have ma...  Read Full »

Is it safe to use Oflox OZ in an infant for severe loose stools?

Query: Hello doctor, My kid is 11 months old and he had more than 20 loose motions in one day today. He has never had this kind of a severe problem. In his bad days, he might have had 10 motions but they were not as loose and watery as today. He is currently on Taxim O, Sporlac, and En...  Read Full »

My son throws up every time he has milk. Please suggest a treatment.

Query: Hello doctor, My son is three and a half years old. From the past 12 days, he vomits four or five minutes after drinking milk. This happens only in the mornings. He is fine if he drinks it at night. Please suggest a cure.  Read Full »