Q. My father has episodes of shortness of breath and increased heart rate. Why?

Dr. Surender Kumar

My father is 68 years old, and from the last six months, he is suffering from a few health problems. He has a severe gas problem and stomach pain. He keeps complaining about gas getting accumulated in his stomach.  As a result, he has burping and shortness of breath, and his heart rate increases. He also feels his head heavy. We consulted a gastro doctor, who gave him medicines, and we also did CT scan. But the doctor could not find the problem. The medicines relieved his symptoms a little, and the sudden attacks got reduced also. The doctor referred us to a psychiatrist, who gave him Sertraline 50 mg and sleeping pills at night. My dad is taking the tablets from four days, and his BP has shot up to 170/90 mmHg. If he does not take the medicines, he has panic attacks. Is the suggested treatment appropriate? Why is his BP increasing?

#

As per the case history that you narrated, your father might have a somatoform disorder. It is good that the CT abdomen is fine.

• Your father's complaints are quite common among this age group. You had not mentioned whether he is having any history of forgetfulness, irritability, and any drug abuse. However, I suggest you give capsule Pantocid-L (Pantoprazole and Levosulpiride) in the morning, on an empty stomach.
  • I suggest he also takes the following medicines:
  1. Tablet D-veniz 50 (Desvenlafaxine) in the morning.
  2. Tab Arpizol 5 mg (Aripiprazole), half tablet at night.
  3. Clonotril (Clonazepam) 0.5 mg at night if he finds it difficult to sleep. Try this treatment for a month after consulting your doctor, it will give good results.

For more information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|