Q. Is it fine to use Mifepristone for abortion after C-section?

Published on Aug 02, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 12, 2019

My wife missed her periods and we doubt she is pregnant. Our first kid is just 1 year old now and it was a Cesarean. We are not in a position to have a second child now.

Her LMP was 22nd of last month. I read that Mifepristone can induce abortion. Is it a safe drug?

Do we have to consult doctor for taking this drug?

What are all the possible side effects?

Is that drug 100 percent reliable?

Is there any other options?

Whether this drug is available without doctor's prescription?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

First, please confirm the pregnancy with a serum beta-hCG test (human chorionic gonadotropin) as urine pregnancy test is not reliable till eight days post missed periods.

If the hCG levels are more than 5 ng/dL then she is pregnant.

In that case as she has been a post C-section case, medical abortion is not to be undertaken with either Mifepristone or Misoprostol simply. Because, the C-section scar would still be weak by one year and there are often chances of uterus rupture.

The best option in that case would be an ultrasound guided dilation and curettage procedure for surgical abortion. Please meet your gynecologist and get the needful.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Thank you for the answer. Is there any other option for medical abortion other than surgical one? Is medical abortion absolutely contraindicated? Also, if we need to do ultrasound guided dilation and curettage, is it an opd procedure? Within how many days we need to get it done? Please guide.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

If medical abortion is to be considered then the uterine scar thickness should be more than 2.5 mm on ultrasound, which is unlikely in just one year.

So, it is better not to take a risk and opt for surgical procedure.

Dilation and curettage is a day care procedure and lasts only 15 minutes under ultrasound guidance.

It can be done for pregnancy till 63 days. You may visit a gynecologist and it can be done safely.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

What are the risks in pregnancy following two C-sections?

Query: Hi doctor, A couple of days before I found out that I am pregnant. According to the first day of last menstrual period, I am about four and a half weeks pregnant. This is my fourth pregnancy. I had an ectopic pregnancy before four years. Then gave a birth after a year through emergency cesarean and ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Anindya Das

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I think your GP has guided you correctly. Abortion can be associated with complications, some of which may be major. Your gynecologist informed you about your weak uterine scar. So, continuation of pregnancy can be risky as well. In my opinion you should consult y...  Read Full

How to do abortion at 8 weeks using Mifegest kit?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 8 weeks pregnant. I got Mifegest kit as I want to discontinue the pregnancy. After taking the first pill today afternoon I would be taking next two pills after 48 hours orally. So, when should I take another two pills? Should I take it orally or vaginally? As bleeding is expected af...  Read Full >>

Dr. Eeshani Dutta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Using oral medications after seven weeks of pregnancy may lead to heavy bleeding. Please ensure that you can attend a hospital with blood bank facility in your easy reach if any mishap of such kind happens. The Misoprostol tablets 200 mcg into four tablets should be in...  Read Full

Is Vaginal Birth Possible after a Caesarean Delivery?

Article Overview: In the earlier days the norm was 'once a caesarean, then always a caesarean'. Nowadays it has changed quite a lot due to advances in medical sciences, and also due to the awareness of the advantages of normal delivery over caesarean. Read Article

Dr. Sabita Laskar

There are few factors on which a successful vaginal birth following a Caesarean delivery (C-section) depends. Your chances for a normal delivery are good if: You have already had only one C-section. You have had a normal delivery after a C-section. Yours is an uncomplicated pregnancy w...  Read Article