Q. Is one dose of Mifepristone fine for abortion?

Dr. Sonal Prasad
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Oct 07, 2019

I am a five-week pregnant woman who wanted to do an abortion with tablet Mifepristone. Will one dose of Mifepristone tablet help for my abortion? Please help.

Dr. Sonal Prasad

Childbirth Educator Lactation Counselor Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

No one dose of Mifepristone will not lead to complete abortion. It will lead to incomplete abortion. To have full and safe abortion medically, get an ultrasound early pregnancy done to see for the presence of cardiac activity (doses differ with presence and absence of cardiac activity) and also tell us whether you have had previous cesarean or abortion. Please do not take the medication without the test and in some random dose as it can cause immediate and long term complications. Review with USG report and history asked so that we can prescribe your regimen best suited for you.

Unwanted pregnancy.

Usg early pregnancy for cardiac activity.

MTP by drugs.

Routine contraception.

Can you explain how do I go about taking the abortion pills?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 6 weeks pregnant and I need to terminate the pregnancy. I have gone through an ultrasound to confirm that it is an intrauterine pregnancy. I need to know how I can terminate it through abortion pills and what other precautions I need to take. Also, are there any other antibiotics ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You need to take an MTP kit a medical termination of pregnancy which will be sold only at the prescription of a registered medical practitioner and is no longer available as an OTC (over the counter) drug. It contains two medications namely Mifepristone and Misopros...  Read Full

Why am I bleeding after one week of consumption of abortion pills?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a 9 months old baby whose birth was by C-section. Now again I think I am pregnant and missed my period for 10 days. I checked with prega news and found 2 light pink lines which I thought to be positive. We do not want to have the second baby now. Then I took abortion pills and ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have to take abortion pills according to the government law and government approved places. So, follow their procedures. Do consult your nearby gynecologist. Now, if bleeding is continued after pills, then you have to do sonography to find out whether everything is...  Read Full

Is it fine to use Mifepristone for abortion after C-section?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife missed her periods and we doubt she is pregnant. Our first kid is just 1 year old now and it was a Cesarean. We are not in a position to have a second child now. Her LMP was 22nd of last month. I read that Mifepristone can induce abortion. Is it a safe drug? Do we have to consult ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. First, please confirm the pregnancy with a serum beta-hCG test (human chorionic gonadotropin) as urine pregnancy test is not reliable till eight days post missed periods. If the hCG levels are more than 5 ng/dL then she is pregnant. In that case as she has been a p...  Read Full