Q. I get migraine daily but it gets controlled with painkiller. How to manage the same?

Dr. Aida Quka
This is a premium question & answer published on May 15, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 28, 2020

I have migraines daily for the past two months. It gets controlled with painkillers and worsens with movement. Other than that no other symptoms (like dizziness or vomiting) are present. The pain is usually moderate to severe, sometimes one-sided and sometimes full head pain. I am taking Paracetamol or Ibuprofen for pain. Please help.

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Dr. Aida Quka

Neurology
#

I understand your concern and would explain that considering your aggravated situation, it would be reasonable to start preventive therapy for migraine.

In this regard, I would recommend starting Topiramate 50 mg twice daily (it is recommended starting 25 mg daily and increase each week by 25 mg, up to 50 mg twice daily). This will help reduce the frequency and severity of migraine headaches.

If you do not tolerate this drug or it does not help reduce the frequency of headaches within the first month, I would recommend considering other treatment options like Verapamil or Amitriptyline.

You should discuss with your doctor on the above treatment options. There is no need to perform any tests, as this is a chronic headache, and painkillers still help.

| 

What could be the cause for constant dizziness, vision blackout, ringing sound and headache?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 19-year-old female. Almost every time I stand up or sit up I get extremely dizzy and lose all eyesight, and everything looks like a tv that lost signal. I also lose most of my hearing and there is also ringing noises in my ear. After a few minutes I can see again, but I get abo...  Read Full »

How long can I take Ibuprofen for pain from broken ribs?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 65 year old female, and I fell 10 days back and broke one or two ribs. The only thing that brings any relief is Ibuprofen 800 mg. I need to know how often and for how long can I take Ibuprofen? I tried Oxycodone 10 mg, but it does not work that well. Thank you.  Read Full »

What ingredients or products can trigger migraines?

Query: Hello doctor, What ingredients or products can trigger migraines, and why this is the case? Some common foods or ingredients I have heard of are alcohol, aged cheese, chocolate, nitrates, MSG, and artificial sweeteners. Is there any truth to these? Are there any substances in common household produ...  Read Full »