Q. 1. 8 years old is not crawling yet. What can be the reason?

Dr. Sirisha
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 20, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 08, 2020

My baby girl is 1.8 years old. All her activities are normal. But, she did not crawl yet. She can sit in bed from a lying position and stand by holding something for 10 minutes. She is not stepping forward. Why?

#

• Your daughter is having some delay in walking. We expect them to achieve this function by 12 or 13 months.
  • Does she recognize parents? Can she hear and say some words with meaning? As you said that her activities are normal, I presume yes.
  • So, maybe she has a delay in the motor or movement functions. Some kids might not crawl, they directly walk and that is fine.
  • Did she have any health issues before? How is her weight and height? Does she play with toys? Was everything normal from her birth? Was she born premature are some things to be known?
  • If no such issues were there, then maybe we can give her some more time.
  • You can get basic tests done like thyroid function tests, calcium and vitamin D levels. From the report we can initiate any treatment if required.
  • You can visit your doctor once for a general checkup and not to miss any other major problems. Try to stimulate her to walk either by using a walker or toys, which encourage her to walk.

1. Normal variant.
2. Neuromuscular problem.

Thyroid profile, calcium, vitamin D levels and CPK (creatine phosphokinase).

Syrup Osteocalcium 5 mL two times a day for a month.

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to a paediatrician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|