Q. My son is 3 years old. He is not speaking like other children of the same age. What do I do?

Dr. Kanwar Deep
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 25, 2014 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My son is 3 years old. He is not speaking like other children of the same age. He is speaking very few words. What do I do?

Dr. Kanwar Deep

Child Health Paediatrics
#

He has probably not interacted verbally enough with family members and other children of his age.

Presuming his hearing capacity is normal, the above mentioned might be the reason.

Please interact with him more often in the form of talking to him and storytelling where verbal communication is significant.

Involve him in playful activities and talk to him at every opportunity.

He should be encouraged to play with other children his age.

Decrease his screen time (television/video games/mobile phones).

With your patience and interactions, things will brighten up.

| 

How to identify if my son has autism?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 3.2 years old. He has a speech delay and lack of response. We have done his IQ test, and there is no autism in the result. He is hitting himself and grinding teeth. We are very frustrated by his acts. He will do more once we say no to his activity. Please help.  Read Full »

Is it necessary to repair soft cleft palate with surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is now 2 years old. She has been detected with a soft cleft palate six months back. As of now, she does not have issue while eating as well as hearing. She used to drink milk with normal milk bottle we are in the process of removing her habit of milk bottle. Our pediatrician ...  Read Full »

Is surgery necessary for a blood clot in the brain?

Query: Hi doctor, My father is in ICU since 48 to 50 hours. Blood clot has formed in vein of the brain. His right side of the body is not functioning. Doctors are saying that he is recovering, but very slowly. Please give your opinion.  Read Full »