Q. NT scan shows placenta is fundo posterior lower edge reaching internal os. Is travelling fine?

Published on Dec 04, 2018

Our 12 weeks NT scan indicates developing placenta is fundo posterior lower edge reaching internal OS. The doctor advised 30 days complete bed rest. I need your opinion on the same case and also doing an ultrasound scan after two weeks. This scan was done 10 days back and since then I am on bed rest. I have a family vacation (one hour flight) planned to travel in 15 days. Is this something possible and non-risky to do?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

At 12 weeks gestation with placenta fundo-posterior with lower edge reaching internal is a fairly acceptable finding for early pregnancy. It does not really call for bed rest if there has been no episode of any bleeding per vaginum. The safest distance of placenta is more than 2.5 cm from internal os but that is in the third late trimester when the lower segment is formed. The placenta tends to climb up by 32 to 34 weeks and the present low lying status shall change.

However, care should be taken to avoid intercourse completely throughout pregnancy and not to lift the weight of any kind which can cause an increase in the intra-abdominal pressure which can cause bleeding. She can walk and do her daily chores with care. Travelling is advised even in normal pregnancy after 18 to 20 weeks when the placenta matures and the fetus has become resilient to any pressure changes with an increase in amniotic fluid. Unless it is absolutely necessary, she should not be traveling as a precautionary measure.

Low-lying placenta at 19 weeks. Is it safe to fly with this condition?

Query: Hi doctor, I am in my 19th week of pregnancy and yesterday, I came to know through the scan that my placenta is anterior low lying, that is, 1.9 cm beyond the os. I have a flying travel planed on 25th this month and I fly back on the 9th. Is it safe to travel?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are in your 19th week of gestation with a low lying placenta (just 1.9 cm from the os - placental margin). Ideally, 2.5 cm from os is considered safe. So, travel with flight or any other mode is not recommended in your case presently. Also, an absolute no to int...  Read Full

When is double marker test indicated?

Query: Hello doctor,My wife is 28 years old and is in her 13th week of pregnancy. We had an NT test a couple of days back. The NT was 1.7mm. Trisomy 21 had an adjusted scale of 1:3428. Our doctor has advised us to go for a double marker test. The results will be out in two to three days. Is a risk of 1 in ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Shalaka Joshi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The NT (nuchal translucency) test and double marker are dependent on each other. A risk of 1 in 3428 is not considered high. You have been asked to go for a blood test so as to conclude the results, as only NT test is not sufficient. For the double marker, NT measureme...  Read Full