Q. Will fibroid affect fertility?

Dr. Sweta Singh
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 05, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 15, 2020

I am a 32 year old married female. I have retention cyst and seedling fibroid. I have this for the past eight months. Can you please let me know if there will be a problem in having a baby? Is this a pcod cyst? Is any treatment required? Or will it go off without treatment? Please clear my doubts. Thank you.

Dr. Sweta Singh

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Fibroids can cause fertility problems if they are too large in size or in the wrong location.

If you have seedling fibroids, then they are unlikely to cause problems in conception. They may grow a bit during pregnancy, but will decrease in size after delivery.

If you are married, then I would suggest you get another ultrasound done to check the status of the fibroids and if still seedling please try to plan your family and conceive. Fibroids grow over time, albeit slowly. If you delay by a few years, then they may cause fertility issues.

Retention cyst is different from a polycystic ovary. PCOS is a syndrome of several factors and not just diagnosed by ultrasound. There are multiple small cysts in the ovaries.

If you have a single retention cyst, then it may be physiological. The cyst may resolve on its own.

You will need to get another ultrasound on the second day of your next period to find out the status of the cyst. If it is more than 3 to 4 cm and of a dubious nature, then it may need laparoscopy and removal. This does not cause infertility.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Please find the attached scan report, which was performed today that is on the 5th day of my periods.

Dr. Sweta Singh

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I have gone through your scan reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• It is nothing major to worry about. Just get the scan repeated on the 2nd day of your menses and let me know that report as well.
  • Please also consider conception soon. The fibroid is small and in a neutral location. So, do not worry too much.

|