Q. Will fibroid affect fertility?

Dr. Sweta Singh
Published on Nov 05, 2016

I am a 32 year old married female. I have retention cyst and seedling fibroid. I have this for the past eight months. Can you please let me know if there will be a problem in having a baby? Is this a pcod cyst? Is any treatment required? Or will it go off without treatment? Please clear my doubts. Thank you.

Dr. Sweta Singh

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Fibroids can cause fertility problems if they are too large in size or in the wrong location.

If you have seedling fibroids, then they are unlikely to cause problems in conception. They may grow a bit during pregnancy, but will decrease in size after delivery.

If you are married, then I would suggest you get another ultrasound done to check the status of the fibroids and if still seedling please try to plan your family and conceive. Fibroids grow over time, albeit slowly. If you delay by a few years, then they may cause fertility issues.

Retention cyst is different from a polycystic ovary. PCOS is a syndrome of several factors and not just diagnosed by ultrasound. There are multiple small cysts in the ovaries.

If you have a single retention cyst, then it may be physiological. The cyst may resolve on its own.

You will need to get another ultrasound on the second day of your next period to find out the status of the cyst. If it is more than 3 to 4 cm and of a dubious nature, then it may need laparoscopy and removal. This does not cause infertility.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Please find the attached scan report, which was performed today that is on the 5th day of my periods.

Dr. Sweta Singh

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I have gone through your scan reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• It is nothing major to worry about. Just get the scan repeated on the 2nd day of your menses and let me know that report as well.
  • Please also consider conception soon. The fibroid is small and in a neutral location. So, do not worry too much.

What causes a cyst near clitorial hood?

Query: Dear doctor, I have noticed a lump the size of a grape on the outer left side of my clitoral hood; that was not there during the last two or three days. It is painless, hard, no irritation or color change, no strange or closed discharge. But it is huge and getting bigger every day. Any general idea...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sabita Laskar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Depending on your description, there could be few possibilities: Paraurethral gland swelling. Lipoma. Fibroma. Sebaceous cyst. Since it has been around for only a few days and not sore, I think it is just a retention cyst. Any gland around that place whose duct...  Read Full

I have thick and foul-smelling vaginal discharge. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 23 years old, and my husband is 30 years old, and I have PCOS from the past 11 years. We are married for a year and a half. My periods are irregular, and sometimes I do not get periods for 8 to 9 months. I used to get periods after taking Meprate. With Clomifene, I got two cycles...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you have PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome), you should plan the treatment first and then plan a pregnancy. This involves weight reduction, oral contraceptive pills for three months, the ones with Cyproterone acetate to reduce testosterone levels and also most import...  Read Full

Can PCOS cause irregular periods?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 28 year old unmarried woman. Last month my period was irregular. I got my periods on the 30th of last month and it was already 20 days later from the actual due. Initially, I had spotting for five days, then I bled for seven days and again, had spotting for three days. Now, I am bl...  Read Full >>

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please do not worry. Irregular periods are not an alarming thing to worry about. Irregular periods are due to stress and strain anxiety work pressure change of place change in climate low blood count thyroid disorders or uterine or ovarian problems. Please...  Read Full