Q. I took Misoprostol during pregnancy and baby survived. Will it cause any defect in baby?

Dr. Uzma Arqam

I am 12 weeks pregnant now. On the third week of my pregnancy, I took two pills of Misoprostol. Yesterday, I went to ultrasound and my doctor told my baby is very healthy. Is there a high risk for my baby to be born with moebius syndrome or other illnesses? Please inform me, should I end my pregnancy?

#

You already used Misoprostol which is hormonal pills used to induce abortion and acts locally but luckily, it did not work and you got a healthy alive, active baby inside uterus growing. Have strict monitoring and take care of any symptoms you have like pain, bleeding, etc. Your sugar levels, blood pressure, thyroid levels should be in normal range and if you have been treated for any health issue, that also need to be checked and regularly treated.

Have Folic acid 5 mg and Iron, Calcium with Vitamin D regularly. Have Micheal translucency scan at 13 weeks, detailed fetal anomaly scan at 20 weeks and scan for cardiac outflow tract at 22 weeks to check any abnormality in the child. I hope there will not be any abnormality if you do not have any family history of congenital anomalies. To be on safe side, you can take double marker tests, hormonal tests at 13 weeks and scan to exclude any congenital anomaly in the fetus. Have a regular antenatal checkup. I hope things would be better. Have the best care of baby and yourself. Misoprostol acts locally and prepares the female body to have a miscarriage. I hope it would not affect fetus with no detailed specific side effects as a congenital anomaly.

Regular antenatal follow-ups along with a complete treatment of any health issue you have.

Regular antenatal visit, double marker tests. scan at 13 weeks for nuchal translucency, at 20 weeks for detailed anomaly scan, at 22 weeks for cardiac outflow tract. Iron, Calcium with Vitamin D supplements, folic acid.

Regular diet, weight, BMI, antenatal visits, multivitamins.

|