Q. What are the uses of Misoprostol?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya
Published on Apr 16, 2016

Please explain me the uses of Misoprostol.

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Misoprostol is a wonder drug, which is used randomly in various obstetrical conditions.

It is used for abortion when the gestation is only few months, that is less than 7 weeks, along with another drug called Mifepristone.

Mifepristone 200 mg is advised to take orally and following 48 hours four tablets of 200 mg Misoprostol should be given per vaginally.

• Also, it can be given to induce labor pain, but in much lower dosage. After an initial dose of 50 mg given per vaginally, 25 mg will be given at an interval of six hours to initiate the labor pain.
  • It is also used to treat postpartum hemorrhage, which is the severe hemorrhage occurred after child birth. A higher dose of 600 mg is given per rectum or oral to control bleeding very efficiently.
  • This drug has few side effects too. There may be chance of rigor, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

I want to know if pills Mifepristone, Misoprostol are genuine and reliable and how to use it?

Query: HelIo, I want to know if my pills unwanted-kit from mankind (1 Mifepristone, 4 Misoprostol) genuine and reliable and how to use it?  Read Full >>

Dr. Shilpi Rajnish Gupta
Homeopathic Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You can take tablets of misoprostol by mouth, usually within 48 hours of mifepristone. Depending on the dose, this could be as soon as 6 hours after the mifepristone. Mifepristone causes the placenta to separate from the endometrium. It also softens the cervix a...  Read Full

Is it fine to use Mifepristone for abortion after C-section?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife missed her periods and we doubt she is pregnant. Our first kid is just 1 year old now and it was a Cesarean. We are not in a position to have a second child now. Her LMP was 22nd of last month. I read that Mifepristone can induce abortion. Is it a safe drug? Do we have to consult ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. First, please confirm the pregnancy with a serum beta-hCG test (human chorionic gonadotropin) as urine pregnancy test is not reliable till eight days post missed periods. If the hCG levels are more than 5 ng/dL then she is pregnant. In that case as she has been a p...  Read Full

Can you explain how do I go about taking the abortion pills?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 6 weeks pregnant and I need to terminate the pregnancy. I have gone through an ultrasound to confirm that it is an intrauterine pregnancy. I need to know how I can terminate it through abortion pills and what other precautions I need to take. Also, are there any other antibiotics ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You need to take an MTP kit a medical termination of pregnancy which will be sold only at the prescription of a registered medical practitioner and is no longer available as an OTC (over the counter) drug. It contains two medications namely Mifepristone and Misopros...  Read Full