Q. What are the uses of Misoprostol?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 16, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 25, 2020

Please explain me the uses of Misoprostol.

#

Misoprostol is a wonder drug, which is used randomly in various obstetrical conditions.

It is used for abortion when the gestation is only few months, that is less than 7 weeks, along with another drug called Mifepristone.

Mifepristone 200 mg is advised to take orally and following 48 hours four tablets of 200 mg Misoprostol should be given per vaginally.

• Also, it can be given to induce labor pain, but in much lower dosage. After an initial dose of 50 mg given per vaginally, 25 mg will be given at an interval of six hours to initiate the labor pain.
  • It is also used to treat postpartum hemorrhage, which is the severe hemorrhage occurred after child birth. A higher dose of 600 mg is given per rectum or oral to control bleeding very efficiently.
  • This drug has few side effects too. There may be chance of rigor, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|