Q. How can missed or delayed periods be treated?

Dr. Poonguzhali Liston
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 15, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 03, 2020

My fiancee is facing periods issue. She is virgin. She did not get her periods for 2 months. After taking Deviry 10 mg as per the prescription, she got her periods just after 7 days, now again she is facing the same issue. In between, she got couple of times white discharge which was lighter and sticky discharge. We are maintaining distance. So please tell us what is the issue and what is the solution of this.

Dr. Poonguzhali Liston

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Hormonal imbalances can cause delayed or absent periods. She has had her periods after taking Devery 10 mg that means she has an hormonal imbalance due to which she is has irregular periods and replacing the hormone (in form of tablet Devery) causes periods to occur. To treat and manage this problem you need to find the cause of the hormonal imbalance. This can be diagnosed by doing the following tests:

Complete blood count (reduced hemoglobin or anemia can cause irregular periods or reduced bleeding), thyroid profile (hypo or hyper thyroidism cause menstrual irregularities), USG abdomen (scan of her abdomen will show us if she has cystic ovaries which is a cause of irregular periods again). Post this, treatment can be started.

|