Q. I missed my last period with negative urine pregnancy test. What should I do?

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta

I have not had a period for over a month and a half. I am sexually active, and my partner always uses the pull out method. I know that it is not the best method, and you can still get pregnant from it. I have taken four HPT, and they all came back negative. My doctor did not give me a blood test because they do not do that anymore. I have regular periods mostly. It will be late sometimes, but I never skip one. I have been having some symptoms of pregnancy but not a lot. So I was just wondering, could I still be pregnant even though the tests came back negative? I also was wondering what is causing my missing period if it is not pregnancy. I am underweight, but that has not affected it before, and I have not changed my habits recently. I was going to start birth control tomorrow. Is that safe to do even with a chance of pregnancy? Please advise.

#

If your tests came negative, most likely you are not pregnant, and it must be a hormonal disturbance. However, I would like to inform you that a pregnancy in which tests can be negative is known as a molar pregnancy. But it is an extremely rare condition and is an abnormal pregnancy. It can be diagnosed on an ultrasound scan and serum beta hCG test. As far as pills are concerned, it would be best to start them once your pregnancy status is confirmed.

|