Q. What can we do for lumps in ovary?

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 30, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 07, 2020

My wife did not get her periods last month. The same happened exactly one year ago. At that time, we had consulted the doctor and she gave 21 day course of tablet and after that she got periods. At that time, she has a sonography. The doctor showed that there were small lumps on the right side of ovary and one big one on the left side. But, then as her periods were regular, we did not visit the doctor again. Her periods were regular for two to three days till last month. But this month, she did not get and we again consulted her doctor. This time, again, she had a sonography and the doctor stated that again the lumps are the reason. The big one has trapped her ovary and stopped the periods. She also stated that lumps are due to TB. She has a positive family history of TB. Can we get this permanently cured?

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• These are likely to be unruptured follicles or hemorrhagic follicles. Most commonly such things occur in endometriosis, which can be confirmed and treated through laparoscopy.
  • Only, if you are trying for pregnancy or if cysts are large and painful, then laparoscopy should be needed. If not trying for pregnancy or if family completed (already have children), then one option would be to take birth control pills regularly.
  • Regarding tuberculosis, the symptoms and the findings you told are not very suggestive of TB. Please consult a TB specialist, if you are planning to start treatment for TB.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

We got married before 2 years and we are planning to have a baby now. Can you suggest the plan of action?

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• The best plan would be to allow this subside on its own or with medicines. You can try naturally for 6 to 12 months if everything else is fine like semen analysis and regular ovulation. If there is no pregnancy, then go for laparoscopy.
  • If you have already tried for 2 years and not used contraception at all, then you can straight away go for laparoscopy if semen analysis is normal.

|