Q. Why have I not got my periods for 10 months?

Dr. Eeshani Dutta

I have recently started getting periods and I have not gotten my period for almost 10 months. I am not pregnant because I have never had sex, and I am also not on any contraceptives or medication. I am just wondering if I should be concerned? I read that this could be a hormonal issue thing that could lead to fertility issues in the future, but since irregular periods are common at this age, I just do not know what to do.

#

You are well informed. Adolescence does cause anovulation, that is, you are not ovulating every month. Hence, not getting regular periods. This is often due to an ever-changing hormonal axis in a girl's body. Give it some time to come into its own flow. You in the meanwhile have not got periods for the last 10 months, but need to get at least four periods in a year to prevent the risk of endometrial hyperplasia. Your BMI is on a lower range, so increase your protein intake to gain around 3 to 4 kg. Do you do very heavy exercise or have tubular vision or smell problems? That may add up to the issue. I would suggest you take the following medicines for now.

Anovulatory cycles.

USG abdomen pelvis to look for adrenals, ovaries, endometrial thickness.

Tablet Medroxyprogesterone acetate 10 mg twice a day for five days.

Periods shall start after 5 to 14 days of stopping the medicine. If the flow is heavy, as you did not have for long, take tablet Tranexamic acid 500 mg thrice a day for two days or as and when needed.

|