Q. Is it possible for mitral valve prolapse to induce mitral regurgitation?

Dr. Vivek Pillai

I had an ECG, echo, TMT, and blood tests, and all results were normal. The echo shows MVP with mild MR. Please review my reports and tell me your opinion. I am experiencing anxiety, fatigue, and unusual chest discomfort and have shed five kilograms. I have had a cough with mucus for two days. Also, my chest hurts while I sleep upright. Why does it happen? I am concerned and anxious.

#

I understand your concern.

I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity). Although you have mitral valve prolapse, there is no mitral regurgitation. But your chest CT (computed tomography) scan shows mild bronchiectasis, causing the cough and sputum. You should consult a chest physician for a further opinion regarding this. Ideally, you should take an expectorant (cough syrup, which encourages the sputum to come out) and sleep on the side. It will encourage coughing and bring out sputum, and thus prevent infection.

Post infective.

steam inhalation, chest physiotherapy, and expectorants.

Thank you for the reply.

What causes left-hand discomfort and backache? Even though all reports are normal.

#

I understand your concern.

It appears to be musculoskeletal pain (pain affecting bones, joints, ligaments, tendons, or muscles), mainly because TMT (treadmill test) is normal.

|