Q. Can MMR and varicella vaccines cause autism in my 15-month-old kid?

Dr. Arun Kiran Malhotra
Published on Dec 15, 2017

My 15-month-old son was vaccinated with measles vaccine at nine months. Now, he will be vaccinated with MMR and varicella on the same day. I am afraid of the adverse side effects of the MMR vaccine. My son is not premature nor underweight. But after birth, the doctor treated my son with Gardinal because the nurse told the doctor that the baby was trembling when crying and sometimes when not crying.

With regards the family history, my wife's 75-year-old grandmother is now under treatment for a neurological disorder or madness for four years. Sometimes, she has to be admitted to the mental hospital. My 62-year-old mother is suffering from a hearing problem since three years.

So, keeping in mind the above things and the data available from the internet about the MMR vaccine, I want to know the chances of being affected adversely by MMR vaccines like autism and hearing problem?

Dr. Arun Kiran Malhotra

Child Health Paediatrics
#

As per current recommendations, MMR (measles, mumps, and rubella) and Varicella vaccines can be given to your child at 15 months of age at different sites.

There is no association of MMR vaccine with autism.

The benefits far outweigh any risks.

For more information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

Which type of vaccination is good, painless or painful?

Query: Hello doctor,My son's tongue comes out while sleeping and most of the time. He is six weeks old. While breastfeeding, he uses his tongue to suck the milk. Is this normal? Please advice.  Read Full >>

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since the child is just six weeks old, you need not worry. It is normal for the baby to do this. It is just a variation. Do not panic and just relax. Watch your baby grow and change habits as he grows. For further information consult a child health specialist online --...  Read Full

Is it necessary to get vaccinated after a dog bite?

Query: Hi doctor, My child has a wound in his inner part of the foot. He is 3.6 years old. He is saying that a puppy bites him and also says injured from stone. We are confused and visited a doctor. He advised us to four doses of injection. Will it cause any side effect when there is no dog bite?  Read Full >>

Dr. Deepak Patel
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you are in doubt that dog bite has occurred or not, then it is always advisable to give the antirabies vaccine. There is no harm in giving an antirabies vaccine. You should give anti-rabies vaccine because rabies is a fatal disease once it occurs and there is no treatm...  Read Full