Q. I require 13 hours of sleep every day. Should I take Modafinil?

I am a 25 year old male, all my life I have required about 13 hours sleep every night, regardless of the bedtime. If I get the 13 hours sleep, I am not tired the next day, but if I only get 10 hours sleep, I will be very tired that day and also get a sleep debt. I went to bed at 8 PM last night and woke up at 1 PM today, as I only slept for 11 hours the night before. I tried forcing myself to sleep for eight hours, but I was a wreck, and I slept for nearly 24 hours straight to compensate. I had blood tests and sleep tests, which were all normal. I only have kyphoscoliosis. I am certain I do not have depression or other psychological problems but have tried several antidepressants for some time. But it had no impact on the amount of sleep I require. It is quite annoying, not being able to live the same lifestyle as nearly everyone I know. I simply just sleep more than everyone. Would I benefit from something like Modafinil? Any other ideas?

#

Thanks for your query.

I have gone through your complaint and I think Modafinil is a good option in your case. Modafinil is used to decrease excessive sleepiness and enhances memory and cognitive functions.

Modafinil can have some side effects, which are headaches, dizziness, flushing, sweating, gastric irritation, dry mouth, etc. Most of the side effects are mild and are self-limiting.

For more information consult a sleep medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sleep-medicine-physician

What is your diagnosis? Would some type of sleep phase disorder be relevant like Narcolepsy? But that is more falling asleep when awake than just sleeping too much.

#

• Actually, some people have increased sleep duration but it is not classified as a disease. So, it is not narcolepsy or sleep disorder.
  • Some people are naturally long sleepers, who need to sleep more than average to refresh themselves. But since you want to reduce the duration of your sleep cycle, Modafinil can be tried in your case.

For further queries consult a sleep medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sleep-medicine-physician

|