Common "Dry Mouth" queries answered by top doctors | iCliniq

Dry Mouth

Dry mouth is also called xerostomia. It often occurs when the salivary gland is unable to produce enough saliva in the mouth. It can also be due to dehydration, Sjogren's syndrome, diabetes, side effects of certain medications, nerve damage, and chemotherapy. The symptoms are dryness in the mouth, throat, raw tongue, bad breath, and frequent thirst. Drinking water frequently, avoiding certain medications, chewing sugarless gums, and improving overall oral health helps to treat it.