Q. I am always extremely tired and sleepy, and have short-term memory loss. Can I take Modafinil?

Dr. Anshuman Srivastava
Published on May 07, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am 34 years old mom of a 5 year old. I am excessively tired and have a need to sleep at all times. I had CBC done, and my eosinophils are high, and my MPV is low, but everything else came back fine. My body aches, and I feel horrible. I have bruises that appear out of nowhere all over my legs and even my buttocks and my skin itches. I also have about 10 to 11 red dots on my skin that look like someone took a red pen and put a dot on me. I am also suffering from short-term memory loss and sometimes confusion. My doctor put me on a medicine called Modafinil 100 mg, yesterday. I have not taken it yet. I am also taking Klonopin, Prozac, and Buspar for about eight years or longer since getting out of the Marines. Please help me figure out what I should do next. Should I consult a hematologist or an oncologist? Should I be worried? 

Dr. Anshuman Srivastava

#

• The symptoms which you described are suggestive of hematological disorder, which can explain both easy fatigability and bruises.
  • You need to get your coagulation profile tested, and peripheral smear for any abnormal cell. Get ANA (antinuclear antibody) and CRP (C-reactive protein) tested, if they are normal, then you are unlikely to be suffering from any serious disease.
  • Your hemoglobin is fine, eosinophils are only slightly raised so it is not of much concern.
  • You are unlikely to have any heart problem, as you have undergone five pregnancies. If heart problem would have been there, then it would have manifested earlier also.
  • As your current medication goes, they all come under the antianxiety and antidepressant category. So, I think you are too much worried about your health condition, which is leading to all these nonspecific symptoms.
  • Please relax and follow-up with me with these reports. I am sure they are going to be normal, and you will be perfectly alright. You can have Modafinil for memory loss, it will help.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

Why do I have breathlessness while walking?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a normal healthy individual with a sedentary lifestyle. I weigh 67 kg and my height is 165 cm. I am experiencing some breathlessness of late when I walk. Hence, I am trying to understand if there is something wrong in me. My annual medical checkup (over the last 3 years) show my c...  Read Full »

Can I take antidepressants only when needed and not continuously?

Query: Hello doctor, I have depression. But for some reason, I do not want to take antidepressants. I have been taking it for the past one year. And have stopped it. But sometimes I get very depressed. Can I take my antidepressant like Desvenlafaxine sometimes? As needed? Or maybe any other antidepressant ...  Read Full »

Eosinophilia: A Brief Discussion Regarding Causes and Management

Article Overview: Eosinophilia or a rise in the eosinophil count can occur due to allergy or skin infection, or due to HIV infection or cancer. Read the article to know more. Read Article

Allergy Specialist

Eosinophilia Definition Eosinophilia is said to be present when the absolute eosinophil count is more than 400/cmm (some books mention eosinophilia when the absolute count is more than 500/cmm). Etiology: I will describe in brief the causes of eosinophilia so that it will help in detecting the und...  Read Article