Q. Is a pink mole normal?

Dr. Gaurang Gupta

I have a question regarding a mole. I just had my hair cut and noticed a mole on the back of my neck near my scalp. I might have had it for a while and did not know about it. Most of my moles are brown and auburn. But, this one is pink. I am wondering whether this is normal. My concern is about nodular melanoma, but my understanding is that the nodular melanomas are typically under the skin and then grow out. This one is on the top of the skin, almost like a skin tag that you could pick off. But, I think it is a mole and not a tag. It does not feel like a firm nodule under the skin. It is soft and mobile. Please help.

#

From the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it does not look cancerous.

Yes, it has a skin tag type appearance. But, I can give you a confirmatory answer that it is not melanoma because only skin biopsy is the tool which can give you a definite diagnosis.

If you notice that it is increasing in size, changing in shape and color, then you have to go to the local dermatologist for further evaluation. Otherwise, at present leave it like this and wait for three to four months for further changes.

For further doubts consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Is a nodular melanoma firm and under the skin? Since this mole is on the top of the skin, is it more likely a mole? Is a pink mole normal? I have heard that head moles are sometimes a different color than others. Is it true?

#

Nodular melanoma grows above the skin. Initially, it appears like a small bump on the skin and within a few weeks to months it grows and form raised large mole which easily bleeds and may become ulcerated.

Your lesion could be anything. You have to get a biopsy, which will be the only method to know.

Color is not a 100% diagnostic criteria for melanoma. If it is changing color, becoming blacker, reddish as well as changing size and texture, then it could be melanoma.

Just by seeing the color as pink it is impossible to know whether it is melanoma or not.

I would suggest you to get a biopsy done and make it clear. The biopsy result would be the final solution, which will clear all doubts.

|