Q. Is it advisable to give L Montus to 6 months old baby for cold?

Dr. Baratu Bhaisara
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 02, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 09, 2019

My baby is 6 months old (9.50 kg) and is suffring from cold. Doctor has prescribed Wikoryl 1.5 ml three times a day, L Montus suspension 5 ml once at night. Please advise whether the dose of L Montus is fine considering age of the baby.

#

Welocme to icliniq.com.

Yes, for 6 months old baby, I will not advice any cough medicine. L Montus contains Montelukast used for treatment of asthma and allergic rhinitis. Safety and efficacy at 6 months of age is not yet established. I consider these medicines are higher for the age group and should be given with due consideration.

Your doctor might have strong reason and better experience with these medications. Cold can be just because of nasal secretion block, can be relieved with saline drop (1 to 2 drops in each nostril). Nasoclear or Nasomix drops are available, no role of cough medicine. All medicine to be taken on doctor's consent.

| 

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

I have cold, cough and chest pain. What can I do?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been very cold for weeks. I have a runny nose, my body hurts, I have a cough, and a few days ago I had chest pains that lasted some minutes.  Read Full »

I have runny nose and watery eyes for many years. Kindly advice.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 24-year-old male. I have a runny nose and watery eyes. It is there for many years. It is like some allergy and I keep sneezing. When I take Montelukast tablets, it gets fine. But I do not like to take medicines every day.  Read Full »

Can I take Combiflam for fever?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a fever and cold for the past three days. I am taking Calpol and Combiflam. How can I get cured?  Read Full »