Q. Is it advisable to give L Montus to 6 months old baby for cold?

Dr. Baratu Bhaisara
Published on Jul 02, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 09, 2019

My baby is 6 months old (9.50 kg) and is suffring from cold. Doctor has prescribed Wikoryl 1.5 ml three times a day, L Montus suspension 5 ml once at night. Please advise whether the dose of L Montus is fine considering age of the baby.

#

Welocme to icliniq.com.

Yes, for 6 months old baby, I will not advice any cough medicine. L Montus contains Montelukast used for treatment of asthma and allergic rhinitis. Safety and efficacy at 6 months of age is not yet established. I consider these medicines are higher for the age group and should be given with due consideration.

Your doctor might have strong reason and better experience with these medications. Cold can be just because of nasal secretion block, can be relieved with saline drop (1 to 2 drops in each nostril). Nasoclear or Nasomix drops are available, no role of cough medicine. All medicine to be taken on doctor's consent.

I have cold, cough and chest pain. What can I do?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been very cold for weeks. I have a runny nose, my body hurts, I have a cough, and a few days ago I had chest pains that lasted some minutes.  Read Full >>

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have caught a cold alright. Is there any fever? Also, is the cough productive? If there is no productive cough and no fever, then you probably have a post nasal drip associated with the rhinitis, hence a chronic dry cough. It could also be tracheitis, in which ...  Read Full

I have runny nose and watery eyes for many years. Kindly advice.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 24-year-old male. I have a runny nose and watery eyes. It is there for many years. It is like some allergy and I keep sneezing. When I take Montelukast tablets, it gets fine. But I do not like to take medicines every day.  Read Full >>

Dr. Philip Shenouda
Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I advise that you stop taking Montelukast tablets and take the following tablets for two weeks then stop, after that take one tablet per day only when really needed. Avoid triggering factors for your allergy  Read Full

Can I take Combiflam for fever?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a fever and cold for the past three days. I am taking Calpol and Combiflam. How can I get cured?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have a viral or allergic upper respiratory tract infection. Calpol and Combiflam (Ibuprofen with Paracetamol) both should not be used at a time. Use only one drug among these two as they are anti-inflammatory and analgesic. You can also take Vitamin C 500 mg twice a...  Read Full