Q. Is it safe to use Montair LC kid in a 4-year-old for reactive airway disease?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 13, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jun 15, 2019

My son is four and a half years old, and he is suffering from reactive airway disease (enclosing the reports and prescription). Kindly suggest based on the above medication that till how long we can safely go ahead with Montair LC Kid. Is there any upper limit of giving this. I am very skeptical about continuing it in the long run.

He is completely fine with this medicine, but if I skip a single dose, he starts coughing just anyways and ends up vomiting everything he had. So I keep on giving him a daily dose of MLC kid. Also, he is a bit aggressive and impatient. I do not know whether these are the emotional changes associated with this medicine. Please tell me that is he losing his natural immunity due to this.

#

Please note that the medications prescribed are to the best of my knowledge. Montelukast has been prescribed for patients for prolonged periods extending up to even two years without any problems. It uses has shown reduced requirements of admission and improving the quality of life in patients suffering from hyperreactive airway disease.

However, it would be good if we can omit the LC (Levocetirizine) content by just giving Montelukast alone in the form of tablet Montair 4 mg daily at 8 pm instead of Montair LC syrup (Levocetirizine, Montelukast). The Levocetirizine component may cause dry mouth, sleepiness consequent irritable behavior in very few children if given for prolonged periods.

The tablet (Montair) can be crushed in a small cup of water, and the child can consume the paste or solution. Most of such cases usually get alright as age advances with complete remission by the age of six to eight years. Very rarely this may persist till 10 years. If it continues until the age of 10 to 12 years, it may progress into asthma in adulthood.

I have tried that also, but with him, it is not helping me. If I give him Montair then too, he is coughing all the time badly, not able to eat anything. And the allergy is aggravated by anything like if someone exhales in front oh him that too may trigger a cough. My question is that since I have already given him Mont LC kid tablet for two years now will it harm if I continue it for another year or so. Kindly help.

#

As I have said previously, in very few children, I have seen that the Levocetirizine component causes dry mouth, sleepiness, and consequent irritable behavior. Taking into consideration that you have mentioned that your child is a bit aggressive and impatient, these factors are suggesting that the LC component is causing some irritability or it might be that the child has fallen ill recurrently to the point that he is now agitated.

Either which ways, stopping the LC component will benefit. Now the next question is, how do we shift the child to Montair from Montair LC. The solution to this is we alternate the child everyday between tablet Montair (5 mg) and syrup. Montair LC and see how things go. Slowly over a period of two weeks increase the number of times you are giving montair and reduce the number of times you are giving Montair LC. This should take place over a period of four weeks to a point where Montair LC is stopped, and the child will be fine.

|