Q. Due to cold, I get sound in my ears and jaw. What could it be?

Dr. Thakre Mahendra Shivram
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 20, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 02, 2020

I have cold three weeks ago and I got a sound in my ear which is similar to a heartbeat, but the rhythm is very irregular. Last week, it got worse with another sensation which is a kind of sound around the neck. In adition to that, I have sounds coming from my jaw on the same side which is accompaonied with physical cracking in the place where the jaw is connected ti the skull. My relatives can hear the sound when I eat. Also, I tried to wash my ears with water and water might have went into my ear. I had a scarf around my neck from yesterday and my lymph nodes suddenly got swollen with slight neck pain.

Last, but not least, I have a clearly sensible lymph node behind my ear which is about the size of a small bean and is movable. Generally, I am healthy and do not have any chronic disease. I do not have an oppurtunity to reach my doctor if it is urgent, but I am afraid it can develop to something serious.

#

I understand your concern. Your symptoms suggest a condition called tinnitus.

Tinnitus is defined as an auditory perception of internal origins such as a buzzing, ringing, or whistling tone and can be perceived as either pulsatile or non-pulsatile. It can have a significant influence on well-being and performance in daily activities. Your symptoms suggest it is pulsatile in nature.

Identification of the underlying cause of pulsatile tinnitus is important for adequate treatment and for prognosis estimation. It can be due to cold and inner ear infection as you also have painful lymph nodes. But you did not mention a fever. If it is infection antibiotics dose will be helpful.

Complete and detailed history is essential, which includes possible accompanying complaints like vertigo, hearing loss, ear discharge, and earache. We are worried about an underlying vascular etiology that can be suspected when pulsatile tinnitus is influenced by vascular compression or when a vascular bruit is heard by auscultation.

In general, head and neck MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) and CT (computed tomography) provide complementary diagnostic imaging information. I suggest you consult an ENT specialist.

|