Q. Is mood swing a genetic problem?

This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 01, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 25, 2020

My husband has mood swings. He feels either depressed or very much excited. He is very irritable and gets angry for small things. This has started before four to five years. He sleeps for very less hours. He also drinks alcohol daily and goes for late night party in the weekend. Currently, he is out of a job and trying to start a new business. Does he need psychiatric help? His father is also under psychiatric treatment. Is this genetic?

Andrology Geriatrics Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology
#

I read your query and understand your concerns.

The information provided is not adequate to make a diagnosis. If he had frequent mood swings and lost his job due to mood swings or irrational decision, then there is a possibility of bipolar disorder where you have extremes of mood including depression and mania.

The possibility of bipolar disorder is high as there is a family history and a history of substance abuse (alcohol), which compounds the problem.

Out of 100 % with mood disorders, there is at least 50% have a family history of mood disorder. So, it can be said that this problem is half genetics and half environment.

For further information consult a psychiatrist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|