Q. What is the cure for priapism?

Dr. Shahil Khant
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 16, 2017 and last reviewed on: Mar 20, 2021

Hello doctor,

I am a 29 year old male. I have a problem of priapism or prolonged erection at night since more than a year. During the day I find many people staring at me directly or indirectly, and this creates tension or pressure on my mind. I try to be normal as much as possible, but due to intrusive thoughts, anxiety and physical appearance people react in such ways. This tension escalates in the form of priapism, especially during night times. When I wake up the pressure or the tension in my head is not there, but when I check my penis I find engorged veins on the surface. My anus is also loose and hips flattened, which I think is due to prolonged involuntary or forced erection. These causes depression and physical weakness. The sight of my penis becoming thinner and veins appearing on the surface itself is horrifying to me. Earlier, there was no pain or engorged veins on the surface. But, since one month, these symptoms have started. The veins make it difficult to walk freely. I cannot stop people around me from staring or passing offensive comments at me so easily, but the consequence that is involuntary erection during sleep is taking its toll on my health and career. I know my behavior might be too polite or I can say weird things which cause people to react in such ways, but this problem occurring every night does not enable me to improve my appearance and behavior. I have heard of the NPT, but the symptoms I see, and the tension that I feel in my mind is totally different from that. Please help.

#

Relax and do not worry.

• I think you are suffering from stuttering priapism.
  • I have some questions for you, answering which will help me to recommend better treatment options for you.
  1. For how much time does your penis stay in an erect state in the morning after you wake up and do you experience prolonged erection during day time also?
  2. Does the erection go on its own? Are you taking any medicines?
  • Do not get tensed and do not feel depressed as this is not your fault. If people pass, any comments do not listen or react to them.
  • We need to find out the causes for your prolonged erection. As there are many causes, I recommend you to undergo some investigations like complete blood picture, peripheral smear, hemoglobin S solubility tests and reticulocyte counts.
  • This disease is curable, but it requires patience, so do not get tensed.

For further information consult an urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

The involuntary erection occurs during sleep mostly, when I sleep in a tensed condition or when I sleep with pressure on my brain. It is caused by external disturbance. The prolonged erection happens during sleep and when I wake up, I find abnormally hard erection and it depends on the amount of pressure that how easily I can get myself to a normal state. I drink water to remove the involuntary erection when I wake up. Sometimes I do not wake up even when the erection happens, but on waking up I find loose, slack, thinner and flaccid penis with engorged veins. This case is more serious as I cannot wake up to control it and avoid the harm caused. The involuntary erection due to external abuse or tension occurs during the daytime also, but it can be controlled immediately. Sometimes the erection goes away on its own when I open my eyes and sometimes it remains in a hardened state. I am not taking any medicines. Regarding the tests that you have prescribed, the cause of involuntary erection is the sexual tension or the pressure on the brain that comes from external factors. So in my case, the cause is external rather than internal. This problem never happened to me before two years. It started when my neighbors in the college dormitory created a disturbance. And during the day, I can realize the process how it happens. Is there any type of protective covering that I can use to protect the engorged veins?

#

• If you think your problem is due to anxiety, then you should be taking some anti-anxiety medicines after consulting a psychiatrist.
  • Regarding the engorged veins, I feel they are a normal part of the penis and everyone have it. You do not need any special cover to protect it and nothing will happen to them.
  • You should also undergo the tests just to rule out other problems.

|