Q. What are the preventive measures of elephantiasis?

Published on Apr 13, 2017

Two of my neighbors are infected with elephantiasis. I am afraid as mosquitos are frequent in our area. Please suggest me the measures of prevention.

Hematology Pathology
#

Welcome to icliniq.com.

• Filariasis is transmitted by culex mosquito. So, I appreciate your knowledge that you know filariasis transmitted by mosquito bite.
  • The most efficient first step for prevention is to avoid mosquito bites by using personal protection measures.
  • Use skin cream available for preventing mosquito bite. Also, mosquito net, mosquito tablets, etc., can be used.
  • If your neighbor is getting proper treatment with medication, then the chance of infection to other is less.
  • If filariasis is more prevalent in your area, then chemoprophylaxis by Ivermectin plus Albendazole or by DEC (Diethylcarbamazine) might be given.
  • Microfilaria released in blood at night, so having nocturnal periodicity.
  • Consult a physician for examination if needed. The diagnosis can be done by peripheral smear examination. Other methods are filariasis card test and ELISA testing for filaria antigen detection.

For further information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

What is the cut-off value for ELISA test?

Query: Hello doctor, I have some queries about HIV, ELISA/ECLIA TEST. What is the cut-off for this test? In some lab reports, they do not mention the cut off rate. They just mention if it is reactive or non-reactive. In some labs, 0.9 is the cut off while in others, it is different. Why is it so?  Read Full »

Please suggest some ayurveda medicine for chikungunya?

Query: Hi doctor, My mom and my 15 year old sister are suffering from chikungunya. Please suggest some ayurveda remedies or medicine for chikungunya. Also, please suggest any preventive medicines as well.  Read Full »

What are the chances of HIV transmission through mosquitoes?

Query: Hello doctor, Regarding the transmission of HIV by mosquitoes, I have following query. I know the virus does not survive in insects, but what if some mosquito bites a very high viral load HIV-infected person and then bites an uninfected person on his wound, who crushes it on his wound. If the abo...  Read Full »

Ask a Hematologist Now