Q. What are the preventive measures of elephantiasis?

This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 13, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 21, 2021

Two of my neighbors are infected with elephantiasis. I am afraid as mosquitos are frequent in our area. Please suggest me the measures of prevention.

#

Welcome to icliniq.com.

• Filariasis is transmitted by culex mosquito. So, I appreciate your knowledge that you know filariasis transmitted by mosquito bite.
  • The most efficient first step for prevention is to avoid mosquito bites by using personal protection measures.
  • Use skin cream available for preventing mosquito bite. Also, mosquito net, mosquito tablets, etc., can be used.
  • If your neighbor is getting proper treatment with medication, then the chance of infection to other is less.
  • If filariasis is more prevalent in your area, then chemoprophylaxis by Ivermectin plus Albendazole or by DEC (Diethylcarbamazine) might be given.
  • Microfilaria released in blood at night, so having nocturnal periodicity.
  • Consult a physician for examination if needed. The diagnosis can be done by peripheral smear examination. Other methods are filariasis card test and ELISA testing for filaria antigen detection.

For further information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|