Q. How to cure mouth ulcer?

Answered by
Dr. Naveen Thomas
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 07, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 26, 2020

Hi doctor,

I have a sore in the mouth. I have attached the photos. Please help.



Welcome to

  • In the photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity), the sore looks just like a simple mouth ulcer. This will take at least 8 to 10 days to heal.
  • Do you get frequent sores? Since how long are you having this?
  • Is it very painful when eating hot or spicy food? What is your age?
  • Do you have any other medications? Are you pregnant?
  • Is the area swollen and hard to touch or soft? I need answers to these questions for better diagnosis.
  • I suggest you the following treatment.
  1. Use warm saline gargle thrice a day for removing the infection and heal faster.
  2. Apply local anesthetic gel at the site to relieve pain.
  3. If it occurs frequently and there is more than one sore, then it can be due to vitamin B deficiency. Take Vitamin B complex capsule once daily for 15 days.

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to a dentist online -->

Thank you doctor,

It only hurts when I touch it. The area is soft when I touch it, but stings. It has been there for a couple days.



Welcome back to

  • You need not worry about it. It will go away fully by next week.
  • You can use any anesthetic gel and an anti- inflammatory medication if you can.
  • If it comes often, then take Vitamin B capsules too as suggested.

For further doubts consult a dentist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
I have white debris on the inner side of my cheeks. Is it possible to scrap it off?

On examining, I found two fissures inside my left cheek, the whole left cheek feels sore and also some parts of my tongue feels sore ... I want to know if these are just so...   Read full

Can vitamin B12 deficiency result in unbalancing while walking?

I consulted a doctor and he told me that it was due to vitamin B12 deficiency and also prescribed me few shots of Vitcofol ... My vitamin B12 was found to be 507 pg/ml ...   Read full

My vitamin B12 is high. How can I lower it?

Hi doctor, As I took master health blood test and in the result, my vitamin B12 is high ... Kindly mention whether you have taken any vitamin B12 supplement or tablet or injection ...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Management of Coronasomnia
Coronasomnia refers to increased sleep problems among people during the COVID-19 pandemic. Read the below article to get...  Read more»
Balantidiasis - Causes, Signs and Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Balantidiasis is a rare bacterial infection caused by a parasite called Balantidium coli. Read the article below to know...  Read more»
JAK Inhibitors in Treating Rheumatoid Arthritis
Doctors mainly suggest JAK or Janus kinase inhibitors for patients with rheumatoid arthritis to ease their symptoms. Rea...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dentist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.