Q. What causes ulcer in the mouth frequently?

Dr. Beryl Fredrick
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha
Published on Jan 16, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 22, 2020

I am getting an ulcer on the inner cheek of the mouth. It disappears on the second day. But, again reappears after 1 or 2 days. It is about 29th time I am getting the same place ulcer within three months.

#

It could be a common aphthous ulcer also know as canker sore. It has various causative factors such as deficiency of vitamin, hormonal imbalance, psychological reasons such as stress, some kind of allergy such as for food or paste or mouthwash, accidental trauma, injury caused by the sharp cusp of tooth, and bacterial infection.

Your problem could be any of the above. To know the exact reason, kindly get a clinical examination and blood report. Appropriate supplements will be suggested if the reason is either anemia or nutrition deficiency. In case of constant poking of sharp tooth, it will be either polished or filled.

Meanwhile, observe the following to avoid further pain and recurrence. Please avoid hot and spicy foods and take lots of water to keep yourself hydrated. Rinse your mouth after every meal or do saline mouth rinse thrice daily.

If the ulcer hurts, a topical anesthetic like Dolojel or Hexigel can be applied over the ulcer with a clean finger. Visit your nearest dentist as soon as possible and get a complete oral examination done to identify the cause.

| 

Why is there repeated mouth ulcer in a child?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 4 years 9 months old. He is a healthy kid with normal weight (17 to 18 kg). But, he often gets a mouth ulcer. It is quite often like once in two months mainly in his buccal mucosa and inner corner of the lip which touches the primary canine. This hurts him and so he avoids food...  Read Full »

I often get a mouth ulcer. What is the reason for this?

Query: Hello doctor,I often get a mouth ulcer which is in the form of oval shape and white in color. When I get this, I apply Mucopain gel and take Riboflavin tablet 10 mg. Can you please let me know the reason for this?  Read Full »