Q. What is the reason for repeated mouth ulcer in a child?

Dr. Amit Modi

My son is 4 years 9 months old. He is a healthy kid with normal weight (17 to 18 kg). But, he often gets a mouth ulcer. It is quite often like once in two months mainly in his buccal mucosa and inner corner of the lip which touches the primary canine. This hurts him and so he avoids food. I used to apply Dentogel on his ulcers. My question is, what is the reason for this repeated mouth ulcer? Is he deficient of any vitamin? Initially, I thought it could be a traumatic ulcer. But, it gets repeated once in two months. Sometimes, he gets three or four ulcers together. I am really worried. Please suggest what to do to avoid these ulcers.

#

Mouth ulcers in children of this age group are mainly due to vitamin and mineral deficiency. Sometimes worm infestation is also implicated in mouth ulcers. We will need to supplement the child with proper vitamin and minerals. Also, deworming should be done.

CBC (complete blood count).

1.Syrup A to Z (multivitamin) 5 ml once daily for one month.
2.Tablet Limcee (chewable) (Vitamin C) one tablet daily for 15 days.
3.Syrup Bandy plus (Albendazole, Ivermectin) 10 ml single stat dose.

Give home based nutritious diet. Avoid refined marketed products like the biscuit, chips, chocolates, cakes, etc.

|