Q. I have vision loss in right eye, and scissoring reflex on retinopathy. Please interpret my MRA findings.

Dr. Vivek Chail

I am looking for a detailed read and interpretation of the MRA. Please be as detailed as possible with any abnormal findings you may see.

My symptoms are progressive vision loss in the right eye, temporal headaches, and tenderness on the right side, headache on back of the head (right side), scissoring reflex via retinoscopy. I have attached my files.

#

I have seen your reports. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

MR arteriogram shows

The intracranial parts of both internal carotid arteries appear normal in caliber. There is hypolplasia of the A1 segment of the right anterior cerebral artery.

The proximal left anterior and bilateral middle cerebral arteries and the arteries of the circle of Willis are normal in caliber.

The right posterior cerebral artery is hypoplastic. The vertebral, basilar and left posterior cerebral arteries and their branches appear normal.

No aneurysm or dissection or vascular malformation.

There is no obvious vascular looping around the bilateral trigeminal nerves in the cisternal parts in the given images.

Do any of the above findings cause the symptoms mentioned above? What symptoms would one get, based on those findings. Also, can you explain what both these mean.

There is hypoplasia of the A1 segment of the right anterior cerebral artery.

The right posterior cerebral artery is hypoplastic.

#

The word hypoplasia is a general term used in medicine for any structure which is smaller or narrower than the usual population and is from birth. In this case hypoplasia of the arteries means that the artery lumen is narrower than expected. In isolation, this necessarily is not a serious condition or a disease but the hypoplastic A1 segment or PCA (posterior cerebral artery) can at times cause an increased tendency of neurological conditions. Some researches have maintained that the A1 segment or PCA hypoplasia can cause an increased risk of stroke like symptoms.

|