Q. Please explain the diagnosis of MRI result.

Answered by Dr. Aida Quka and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Mri Of Brain or Memory Problems? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »
Image: Please explain the diagnosis of MRI result.

I would like to know the diagnosis of this MRI result.

Multiplanar and multisequential MRI of the brain without intravenous contrast administration was taken. Single voxel MR spectroscopy through the basal ganglia was also performed. The brain parenchyma demonstrates interval development of diffuse cerebral volume loss, most prominently involving the cortex, with a widening of the sulci and ex-vacuo dilatation of the ventricular system. There is a faint T2-FLAIR hyperintense signal of the bilateral hemispheric white matter. There is sparing of the cerebellum and only mild interval thinning of the corpus callosum. Interval development of a subdural collection along the left cerebral convexity, most prominent at the left frontal convexity causing a mild mass effect on the left frontal parenchyma. It shows mildly increased FLAIR signal, likely related to proteinaceous content. The intraorbital optic nerves have decreased volume, compatible with optic atrophy. There are punctate foci of susceptibility artifact in the right parietal and right occipital region, likely related to minimal hemosiderin staining. No mass lesion or midline shift. There is no acute intracranial hemorrhage or acute territorial infarction. No hydrocephalus. No cerebellar tonsillar herniation. Preserved flow voids of the major intracranial vessels. There are bilateral mastoid and middle ear effusions and mucosal disease of the bilateral paranasal sinuses.

Single voxel MRI spectroscopy at the basal ganglia demonstrates increased choline and mildly decreased NAA, nonspecific markers of parenchymal injury. Impression:

1. Interval development of severe supratentorial brain volume loss with thinning of the intraorbital optic nerves.
  2. Interval development of a subdural collection along the left cerebral convexity with mild mass effect on the left frontal lobe.