Q. How to prevent clots and blockages after an ischemic stroke?

Answered by Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Ischemic Stroke or Warfarin? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

Hello doctor,

My 71 year old mother got a couple of ischemic strokes nearly two months ago. She was then given a strong blood thinning injection which led to a couple of blood vomits and a hemorrhage as well. During the hospitalization as well as afterward, she has been taking Pradaxa 110, etc. (prescription attached). She was hospitalized for about a month and relieved at the end of the month. Now, all went well until last week, when she complained of severe pain in the lower right limb. We did a CT aortogram (report attached) to identify the blockage since the limb was turning green and there was no pulse identified. The blockage was found to be behind the stomach area. She was operated on the same day and the clots were removed, but the cleaning happened on a dead vessel. Now, again after the blood thinning medication, there is another clot identified in today's MRI in the brain. The blood thickness has raised to 35 and so, an injection has been started. She went through a mitral valve replacement 12 years ago. She has undergone a knee replacement on the left leg and has got both her retinas replaced as well. I am requesting your advice to be able to stop the formations of the clots and blockages, which continue regardless. Any other advice or suggestion is welcome.