Q. Is it fine to not visualize right internal jugular vein in MRV?

Dr. Vivek Chail

I had an MRV done. In the report, it said my right internal jugular vein was not visualized at the skull base. What could this possibly mean? It was never followed upon. I get terrible headaches.

#

The internal jugular vein carries blood from the brain and neck area to the heart. There are many reasons for the non-visualization of the internal jugular vein on MRV and the causes can be technical due to slow flow of blood or can be due to a mild compression of the vein due to a secondary cause. Rarely it can be from a thrombus in the lumen of the vein. If the MRV of the brain and rest of the internal jugular vein is normal, then the non-visualization is likely due to technical reasons and is artefactual. If you are having headaches, then it is better to talk to your doctors and get a neck venous Doppler done to rule out any external compression of the vein or any luminal thrombosis of chronic nature.

|