Q. I have positive Babinski and Hoffman signs. What does that mean?

Dr. Hitesh Kumar
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 12, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 19, 2019

I am a 29 year old male. I was previously diagnosed with essential tremor, for which I have been taking Propanolol 160 mg for six years. My current symptoms are constant tingling, soreness, and restlessness of the legs. I get spasms in the legs as well as arms. My right eye goes blurry when it is too hot or if I am in the bath. Also, I have been really sensitive to heat recently, and there is slurring of speech. My right eye also droops sometimes. My legs are weak, and I have balance issues. I have a positive Babinski and Hoffman sign. I would appreciate some advice on what condition this could be.

#

• Your symptoms are not easily explained by one problem.
  1. A positive Babinski and Hoffman sign indicates that you might be having some spinal cord lesion.
  2. But slurring of speech and blurring of eye signify a brain lesion.
  3. Intermittent drooping of one eye may point towards myasthenia gravis.
  4. As you mentioned to be sensitive to heat, there may be a possibility of multiple sclerosis.
  • The following investigations will give a conclusive diagnosis:
  1. MRI brain.
  2. MRI spine with contrast.
  3. Repetitive neve stimulation test.

I suggest you meet a neurologist in person for a detailed history and clinical examination.

For more information consult a neurologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

| 

What is the chance of multiple sclerosis in pars planitis?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had burning sensations on my skin since 14 years. I am also very much sensitive to touch, which feels like my entire body is bruised all over. It is so hard to explain, but that is the best way I can put it into words. I feel inflamed all over at times. I had a brain MRI before ...  Read Full »

What causes a burning sensation in the right thigh near groin?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a low grade burning sensation in the upper thigh on the right side, near the groin. I have the same burning sensation in the left arm, below the shoulder to forearm. I have heaviness in my legs with a sharp pain in the feet. It got started after taking Ativan. This burning is pret...  Read Full »

Why is my vision not clear even after cataract surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I had my first cataract surgery in the right eye four years back. Now again this year, I just had cataract surgery in the left eye. Just today, after three days of my second cataract surgery in the left eye, the vision in my right eye is not clear. When I am seeing contact names on my...  Read Full »