Q. 12 years old son, suddenly lost his ability to walk. What could it be?

Dr. Deepak Kishore
Published on Oct 15, 2014 and last reviewed on: Sep 10, 2019

Dear doctor,

My father-in-law had a son. He grew up like a normal child till the age of around 10 to 12 years. Suddenly, he was diseased and he was not able to walk properly and after some days, he completely lost power in both the legs and permanently lost his ability to walk. Could you tell me what that disease is and will that get passed on to my children as heredity?

Dr. Deepak Kishore

General Surgery Paediatric Surgery Paediatrics
#

It is likely that he could be suffering from one of the types of muscular dystrophy. It is most of the time, X-chromosome linked.

Usually, the male children get affected and the females are carriers.

For further queries, post a detailed history and ask a doctor online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online

| 

I am suffering from extreme muscle weakness.What may be the reason?

Query: Hello doctor, My age is 25 years. My height is 5'10" and I weight 78 kg. I am suffering from muscle twitches and extreme muscle weakness and muscle pain from last one month. I went to a neurologist and he says reflexes are normal and asked me not to worry and he put me on tablet Remylin-D. I am curr...  Read Full »

Why do I have breathlessness while walking?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a normal healthy individual with a sedentary lifestyle. I weigh 67 kg and my height is 165 cm. I am experiencing some breathlessness of late when I walk. Hence, I am trying to understand if there is something wrong in me. My annual medical checkup (over the last 3 years) show my c...  Read Full »

I tripped while walking and middle toe is bent downward. Kindly give some advise.

Query: Hi doctor,While walking, I missed a step and accidentally bent my middle toe downward. There was a sharp pain for several minutes and subsided after a while. There is no swelling, deformation or bruising. It has been 5 hours now, and I have iced it thrice. I have also taken an anti-inflammatory medi...  Read Full »