Myasthenia Gravis

What does positive Hoffman's sign mean?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 29 year old male. I was previously diagnosed with essential tremor, for which I have been taking Propanolol 160 mg for six years. My current symptoms are constant tingling, soreness, and restlessness of the legs. I get spasms in the legs as well as arms. My right eye goes blur...  Read Full »

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms are not easily explained by one problem. A positive Babinski and Hoffman sign indicates that you might be having some spinal cord lesion. But slurring of speech and blurring of eye signify a brain lesion. Intermittent drooping of one eye may point towards...  Read Full »

How long will it take for my mother to recover from chikungunya and MG?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is 80 years old. She has been having myasthenia gravis for the last 10 years and it has been under good control. She took only Distinon tablet three times a day till last month. One month ago, she had a viral fever. She was admitted in hospital for 10 days and the doctors treate...  Read Full »

Dr. Rajyaguru

Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I agree that the dosages have been increased quite a bit. But, the myasthenia precrisis is treated this way only. Coexisting viral fever chikungunya may be the added reason to increase the doses on higher side. If it was an overdose, she would have experienced the sympto...  Read Full »

Taking Azoran for myasthenia gravis. Will it cause any side effect?

Query: Hi doctor, My brother is a myasthenia gravis patient. He had undergone thymectomy four years back. Since then he is continuously taking Azoran 50, an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor. Surgeons are not able to suggest him for reducing the amount of drugs. Available neurologists also do not have any exp...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. See, there are no definitive criteria to stop Azoran (Azathioprine). Usually, if thymus is removed and patient is asymptomatic then your doctor may taper and stop Azoran. However in case one gets a repeat episode then he would need to continue it....  Read Full »

My left upper eyelid is bigger than the right. How to rectify this?

Query: Hello doctor,My left upper eyelid is bigger than the right.  Read Full »

Dr. Rahul Vaswani

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the image uploaded by you (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is not bigger. The condition is known as ptosis, that is, the inability to move your upper lid. How long have you been like that? There are various possibilities: If it is from b...  Read Full »

I was diagnosed with an unknown neurological condition. What does that mean?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 60 year old female, who is 5.4 feet, and I weighs 157 lbs. I am looking for a name for my condition. The only medication I take is Imipramine hydrochloride 40 mg tablets each day. I have been told that I have a neurological condition, but the symptoms do not follow any diagnosi...  Read Full »

Dr. Jeremy David O'kennedy

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician, HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sorry to hear about your prolonged symptoms, I can understand your frustration. Your complaints mostly encompass two of the most complex systems of medicine, that is neurology and immunology. There is a lot we know, but that probably makes up just 20 % of what is yet to b...  Read Full »

My eyelids seem to droop when I am relaxed. Could it be ptosis?

Query: Hi doctor, From the past 12 months, my eyelids seem to droop when in a normal or relaxed state. It takes an effort to perform any kind of activity. I am doing eye exercises, but their effects are temporary. My eyelids close even more often after I use mobile or laptop. Could it be ptosis? If yes, ...  Read Full »

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed your photos very carefully (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There is no significant ptosis in your eyes. Recently acquired ptosis, which worsens with efforts, is suggestive of myasthenia gravis. I would recommend you to consult a local...  Read Full »